Thread: Gas additives

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Opti oil is some nasty stuff. At least the crap on your prop isn't staying in your engine so that's something. It might be worth taking a borescope and looking down the plug holes...or that might open Pandora's box, lol.
    Yeah I always thought it was odd that folks bragged about clean props with their additive of choice. If it is getting out of the engine it may be dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Jim doesn't have to Google it. I'm pretty sure about the composition of a standard two-stroke lubricant.
    2 STRK W STABR.jpg
    STP W STA.jpg

Just say'in Just one example of many.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    2 STRK W STABR.jpg
    STP W STA.jpg

Just say'in Just one example of many.
    It's a blended & packaged product for retail consumers who need additional help.
    I'm pretty sure about chemical compositions of finished lubricants on the shelves.
    What's next? Are you going to find a lubricant with gasoline already put inside it?

It's a blended & packaged product for retail consumers who need additional help.
    I'm pretty sure about chemical compositions of finished lubricants on the shelves.
    What's next? Are you going to find a lubricant with gasoline already put inside it?
    Your the one who said BS no such thing!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    You mean something like Trufuel?

6. Member
    Both of my mowers started right up the beginning of this year like they were just shut off a few minutes before and restarted. Both had 87 e10 at least 8 months old with a double dose of the same Stabil 360 Marine I use in the boat. Both mowers gravity feed tanks. I was expecting water to be in the carb but it didn't seem to be. I'm a believer too and I personally think Stabil 360 works better than Startron. There are a few on here who will say additives are a waste of money and that's fine. I'm sure those same people would say they don't work even if you could prove to them they do indeed work. Everyone needs to do what works for them and makes them feel good. I even started using Stabil 360 in my mom's Altima since a tank of gas will last her 2 months. She was having fuel related issues. Told her to let me know when she got gas again and I'd drop another double dose in.
    It's fine to use what makes you confident in your fuel, but to assume those that don't believe in the same stuff wouldn't believe it even if proven to work is far fetched. The reason many (myself included) don't really believe in these additives is because there hasn't been any official evidence that they work. There is no recommendation by any engine manufacturer to use them and no 3rd party studies that I have seen. It's awesome that you have had good luck with them, but that is anecdotal evidence at best. My engine blew up with a dosage of Yamaha Ring Free in the tank. By that logic, the ring free caused the malfunction. I don't believe that to be the case.

7. Member
    Opti oil is some nasty stuff. At least the crap on your prop isn't staying in your engine so that's something. It might be worth taking a borescope and looking down the plug holes...or that might open Pandora's box, lol.
    So your thinking is if it's on the prop it's not in the engine, how wrong you are. Merc DFI oil is by far the most carbon building oil there is why do you think they want you to add a additive. I tear down and rebuild a good number of pro xs engines a year and DFI ran engines are the worst and I wont even get into how it turns to gel. I run 2 pro xs 250's and do not use any additives in either one. I do not run any Mercury oil there are much better oils on the market.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    So your thinking is if it's on the prop it's not in the engine, how wrong you are. Merc DFI oil is by far the most carbon building oil there is why do you think they want you to add a additive. I tear down and rebuild a good number of pro xs engines a year and DFI ran engines are the worst and I wont even get into how it turns to gel. I run 2 pro xs 250's and do not use any additives in either one. I do not run any Mercury oil there are much better oils on the market.
    And the better oils are ALOT cheaper too. Some people just go with the flow and think that they have to use Mercury branded oil or their warranty will be voided

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDC 455 View Post
    You mean something like Trufuel?
    Exactly. It's no longer a lubricant, it's a measured premix.

Finished lubricants from OEMs don't contain fuel stabilizers.
    Third parties are beyond happy to do it, at premium prices.

10. Member
    I use the 3 mercury additives in my 03, money well spent in my opinion.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennyg View Post
    I’ve been using Stabil 360 on my 1997 Merc 150 EFI for more than 20 years. Got almost 900 hours on the engine and it seems to be doing fine.
    I’ve been pumping my body full with copious amounts of beer for more than 20 years. I seem to be doing fine…it must be the beer

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Penzoil xlf comes to mind! I switched to that after using dfi in my 2011 250 proxs for years along with quickleen and quick care. My prop is way cleaner running the xlf and no additives.

Exactly. It's no longer a lubricant, it's a measured premix.

Finished lubricants from OEMs don't contain fuel stabilizers.
    Third parties are beyond happy to do it, at premium prices.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

14. Member
    Treat early, treat often!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    STP ... Scientifically Treated Products. Owned by Energizer Battery. They're a marketing company.

My statement was specifically directed toward lubricant manufacturers and OEMs only. Unless something changed, you'll not find them including, recommending or endorsing fuel stabilizers. OEMs and petroleum/lubricant companies will tell you to store fuel properly and consume in < 6 months.

In a nutshell, while Jenny's Deli makes a great sandwich, they're not a bread factory or a flour mill.

16. Member
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    It just goes to show that people with average intelligence will dazzle you if they stay consistent.

I use the Lucas oil stay bil version. No complaints here. My boat mechanic and car mechanics swear by it. They tell me to buy it from Walmart as it is cheaper there than they can sell it for.

19. Member
    On a side note, folks would do well to stick with OEM & major lubricant manufacturers for oil.
    Almost every drizzle of the shizzle sold by repacking plants is lacking. Pedigree is your friend.

Okay Jim I looked it up for you.

My comment was about 2 stroke oil that I had used in a Homelite line trimmer for 30 years and I have never used anything in other than OEM Homelite 2 stroke oil. And stated I thought it had fuel treatment in it.

You said BS

hlite oem oil.jpg
    So here you go OEM Homelite 2 stroke oil with fuel treatment. NO BS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast