Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The New NFC X-Ray

I received a message today about the new NFC X-Ray C6O2, it says 30% lighter than the current X-ray , has anyone seen one?

2. Member
    I got the same message - I don't know how much lighter they could be.....
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

3. Member
    There were pictures with the new NFC carbon exposed blank reel seat that by the way will be available for sale. 1.58 oz. 7 ft. 2 in. Tackle Tour did a write up I believe.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 08-06-2022 at 11:55 PM.

4. Member
    The tackle tour review link is on the NGC site.. new carbon fiber and method of assembly. $150 for the blank which is not a bad price these days..I'm waiting on the new reel seat..designed like the old castaway seats.

Blanks are clamed to be 30% lighter than the typical Xray
    Last edited by jglenn21; 08-08-2022 at 01:20 PM.

5. Member
    Everyone seems to be looking for the next big seat design where the hand gets the maximum blank contact, great comfort, light weight and yet the Castaway style has been around for 3+ decades, Berkeley had their version on the Series One rods even sooner I believe. CUI had them to buy forever to buy and I've taken a drum sander to many a Fuji ECS to do the same thing over the years, takes about 15 minutes to do. Modified some of the wood trigger reel seats back in the day also.

6. Member
    Has anyone noticed that the Tackletour write-up on the rod series using the air blank will retail for $295 but the NFC website lists the blank at $325? I wish they would list the specs on the blanks they plan to release green Tackletour article says 30 rods are planned.

7. Member
    Purple,
    Cut these guys a little slack, it's not a big company, they are in the middle of building and moving to a new plant site, and they are also going to sell their own line of components. By the way my read on the site says the pre-order price on those blanks is $150.
    Last edited by Spoonplugger1; 08-07-2022 at 03:44 PM.

8. Member
    I just ordered 2...we'll see what they're all about

9. Member
    The carbon is in short supply, so they are going to start with their most popular models and expand the line as supplies improve. Sounds like get them while you can, and wait some when supply is scarce will be the norm for a while.

10. Member
    I ordered a couple to try as well. But, hating to sound like a broken record since i really like NFC blanks, but based on their deflection charts it does not look like a MH. Maybe a medium. A little more powerful thBased on the Point Blank ratings, it is close to the same ERN as their ML. Between the mb733 and mb724. Probably closer to the mb732.
    5397FCC7-6F66-4FF7-9F92-C09CA86DC311.jpegD1AF31BE-EBE5-43A3-A52D-734BC7AA3F7A.jpegB68229FC-A02C-4D08-B677-16EDF8D15964.jpeg

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv616 View Post
    I ordered a couple to try as well. But, hating to sound like a broken record since i really like NFC blanks, but based on their deflection charts it does not look like a MH. Maybe a medium. A little more powerful thBased on the Point Blank ratings, it is close to the same ERN as their ML. Between the mb733 and mb724. Probably closer to the mb732.
    5397FCC7-6F66-4FF7-9F92-C09CA86DC311.jpegD1AF31BE-EBE5-43A3-A52D-734BC7AA3F7A.jpegB68229FC-A02C-4D08-B677-16EDF8D15964.jpeg
    I was thinking the same thing regarding the power rating... seemed a little light for MH based on the deflection.

Honestly after the initial interest, if I'm spending $150 for a blank I'll probably spend just a bit extra and go with a Point Blank. Especially if they will never be priced this low again...

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

12. Member
    In general, NFC's MB series are lighter than what most others MB blanks are. Their SJ series runs heavier and is more inline with the typical MB series of others. I have several MB xrays that i use for square bills or shaky heads and the like. Oh I bet we'll see these blanks around 150 from time to time. Heck we saw xrays down to 65 when 3 were ordered, recently. If it is 30% lighter qnd 50% stronger it should be a heck of a blank. I'm looking forward to the new graphite reel seat.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn21 View Post
    In general, NFC's MB series are lighter than what most others MB blanks are. Their SJ series runs heavier and is more inline with the typical MB series of others. I have several MB xrays that i use for square bills or shaky heads and the like. Oh I bet we'll see these blanks around 150 from time to time. Heck we saw xrays down to 65 when 3 were ordered, recently. If it is 30% lighter qnd 50% stronger it should be a heck of a blank. I'm looking forward to the new graphite reel seat.
    Have you tried the AT HCC matte carbon seat? I grabbed a couple from Voodoo, it's stupid light. I've got one set up on a RX10 right now but only have the handle done, haven't wrapped it yet.

14. Member
    They always get me with the new release sales pitch. Another blank added to the “to be built someday” pile. Does anyone else accumulate more blanks than they will end up building? I have been searching for the perfect ultralight bass blank (like what Matt Straw writes about in In-fisherman). Tried a bunch of them and the MHX Elite-X NSJ870 seemed good, but I ordered up the Elliot 73lf blank (they do not sell the 7-9 blank) and the Elliot one does seem better. The Liberty DS ​blank and the AT Bushido are not quite right. The MXH and the Elliot seem the best of the bunch, but now i have blanks I may never build. Especially the Bushido SJ72/4-8. Liberty DS blank is going to be tried out for a BFS rod. Seems like it may make a good light crankbait rod. Some will end up being gifts for family and friends I guess or try to sell them.

15. Member
    Awwwww! Yeah I have blanks I haven't built yet, you wouldn't need to have been doing this long to start a pile, mine is a 40 year pile. Need a Shikari SHX blank? How about a G Loomis IMX 1141, or a Lamiglas XMG 50, Lami S Glass, St. Croix, Rainshadow RX8+?

16. Member
    I have two Shikari SHX rods in the rotation still. Broke a 3rd one. Nice rods. I have a XMG 50 fly rod (only fly rod I have built) and wish I would have tried some of their bass rods before they were discontinued.

17. Member
    Mike, thanks for the suggestion. will check out the HCC grip.

18. Member
    Has anyone who's ordered one of these C602 blanks received it yet?

19. Member
    Left a message and they called me back. Sounds like it'll be another month or so. Looking forward to finding out what these are all about.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv616 View Post
    Those deflection charts seem useless for comparisons because they list completely different weights for each of those rods. I have no idea why they do it that way.

I'm dying to try the new C6O2 too, but it would take a lot of convincing to make me believe they are worth $325. Even the pre sale "sales" price of $150 was a stretch for an unknown. I'd pay either price in a heartbeat if it were worth it, but they have a lot of work to do to succeed in that establishing that fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast