Slow leak ideas needed…livewell pump connection?

2019 Z519 has minor water in bilge after a day on the water. Was looking at my livewell plumbing system and all black rubber tubes are attached well. Fittings are all tight.

I looked at my livewell pumps and one in particular was kind of loose sitting on the pvc fitting. There is a white locking ring that connects the assembly to the plumbing that leads to the main pipe below it (not the elbow up to the tank). That locking ring was not locked down and I can wiggle the pump fitting up a bit.

I can push it down but it easily pops back up allowing the pump assembly to again wiggle loose a bit. I suspect that water is then slowly able to leak from that point into the bilge. Although not confirmed.

I assume that locking ring is supposed to stay down so things are tight? Is this a probable source of the leak? Won’t be on the water for a few days so looking for input.

Also does this need to be replaced or how do I keep it locked down? For now I’ve wedged a small piece of cardboard against the top of the pump so it stays tight against the fitting but not sure if that is a good long term solution.

Thanks for the input and insight.

I believe it is this one…

https://www.amazon.com/Tournament-Li.../dp/B00K3U2ZLO

2. Member
    I have a 2020 521L and have the same issue. I was thinking about epoxy or pvc glue to stop the movement of the ring. I hope we find a solution from this post. Thanks

3. Member
    can a zip tie be put above the lock ring after it is down and tight to prevent it lifting up?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    can a zip tie be put above the lock ring after it is down and tight to prevent it lifting up?
    you are on to something. On its own, I am not sure if it will be enough due to the slipperiness of the tube…I might create a short sleeve of sorts that will go around the collar and keep it pushed down. The zip tie will be used to keep it in place.

thank you for the great idea of the zip tie!

update: just looked at how close the collar is to the elbow and found that there is not much room between the top of the collar to the bottom of the elbow. Used a 1/8 inch zip tie and tied it on as tight as I could. Collar wouldn’t budge. Let’s see if that works! Thanks so much @mactlman for the great idea!

will report back.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 08-07-2022 at 05:39 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    you are on to something. On its own, I am not sure if it will be enough due to the slipperiness of the tube…I might create a short sleeve of sorts that will go around the collar and keep it pushed down. The zip tie will be used to keep it in place.

thank you for the great idea of the zip tie!

update: just looked at how close the collar is to the elbow and found that there is not much room between the top of the collar to the bottom of the elbow. Used a 1/8 inch zip tie and tied it on as tight as I could. Collar wouldn’t budge. Let’s see if that works! Thanks so much @mactlman for the great idea!

will report back.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

I would fill the live well with water with a garden hose and look for leaks while on trailer and everything is dry.

7. Member
    Also plug and fill your splash well. Mine has a plastic plate and I had to silicone it and the screws.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

8. Member
    Update on zip tie. The zip tie held. Awesome.

Not so awesome was there was still water in the bilge. Not a ton but enough that it’s annoying. I fished for 10 hours yesterday and it pooled up a little in the bilge.

I did fill my live wells up but since it’s such a slow leak I didn’t find anything. Might do it again and leave it overnight. Will check the plate in splashwell.

thanks all for the suggestions. The hunt continues.

9. Member
    Just inspected hoses and plumbing. I don’t see anything obvious like cracking or loose tubing, etc.

my next suspicion is my flow rite remote drain plug. I have been using the Mercury oil based grease. Reading other threads I now know a silicone based grease is what should be used. Now wondering if I replace the o-ring it might get a more water tight seal. Will try that next.
    Last edited by BoilermakerZ519; 08-09-2022 at 10:05 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    Just inspected hoses and plumbing. I don’t see anything obvious like cracking or loose tubing, etc.

my next suspicion is my flow rite remote drawing plug. I have been using the Mercury oil based grease. Reading other threads I now know a silicone based grease is what should be used. Now wondering if I replace the o-ring it might get a more water tight seal. Will try that next.
    get down there and push it in tight by hand and see what happens
    MAGA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    get down there and push it in tight by hand and see what happens
    yes every time I use it I push to make sure it has a tight seal. I’m wondering if I need to get a new o ring. Wondering if a #11 or #12 o ring from Home Depot will do or do i really need to order a replacement from flow rite.

12. Member
    likely just a common sized o ring-- it needs to be tight on plug so take old one with you to match up. watch the diameter of the oring also
    Last edited by mactlman; 08-10-2022 at 05:53 PM.
    MAGA

Close your drain plug and put some water in your bilge, leave overnight and check the ground in the morning....