24V or 36V TM on '99 Ranger 518?

I have a garmin Force TM and at present I have it hooked up to 24V (2 AGM batteries). The TM is 'smart' and can detect and adjust to 24 or 36. One of my AGMs is about to die. I'm thinking of upgrading to 3 12V 50HA Ionics. It is a '99 518 Commanche. I've heard that some of the older ranger boat TM plugs will only support 24V. How can I tell what my Ranger can support?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Maybe someone on here will know, Mark, and long-time dealers have surely run across this question, but a strong BBC resource is the electrical/wiring/trolling motor forum. Catfan is the mod over there and really knowledgeable. —JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I have run a 36 volt Minn Kota motor on my 1999 492VS for many years. First a Fortrex and now an Ultrex. The wires are the ones that came with the boat. No issues. You will need to change up your wiring (how they are attached to your batteries) to get 36 volts at the front. I use Marinco male and female plugs, or you could hard wire it. I believe they have sell some specifically for Ranger boats. I always unplug my trolling motor at the end of the day. I know the Ultrex uses some power when off. The Force likely does the same.

4. Member

5. Member
    Any plug will support 36v if it will carry the amps but some of those old plugs and receptacles were only rated for 30a.You can jumper at the batteries so there is only two cables feeding the plug.

6. Member
    Great information. Thanks guys!

7. Member
    I’d install a new breaker at the batteries in the battery box and install at the bow the setup Ranger has been using for years a plastic two wire small cheap junction box and do away with the plug setup.