Don I’m desperately seeking your help!

So I purchased my new triton with smart craft sc1000’s. Fuel guage has never worked since new. Calibration has no effect on the reading of the guage. I’ve taken it back in for service and still have no working fuel guage. Was told they are ordering a new sender and new guages. I find it hard to believe on a new boat that the smart craft guage and sender are both bad. Wire colors are red and green to the sender plug. Any way I could schedule a chat with you to help me? Sucks not having a fuel guage. Anything you can help with is much appreciated!

2. Member
    Serial is 3B140274
    looked into wiring going to the fuel sender. They are red and green. As I follow them forward it seems as if they are part of the Triton wiring harness and not the smart craft harness. Does the smart craft require an additional paddle/oil/fuel harness? If so where does it connect too? I have a blue wire going from motor to a 4 way box underneath the dash that goes to both sc1000 guages. I see a plug labeled system link with nothing connected to it off of this blue smart craft wire as well. I was looking for the fuel 1 wire but never saw it. Also don’t see the pink black stripe wire everyone seems to mention. Fuel sender has 49k ohms with mostly full tank.

3. Member
    Do you have a picture of the wiring going to your sendor?

"SC1000s" really does not explain exactly what you have. Do you have the TAC/Speedo gauges with an LCD readout below? A picture of your fuel gauge would help. I could be an analog and never upgraded to a Smartcraft System Link Gauge or it could be that they installed the Smartcraft Systemlink Gauge but did not add the proper harness to the sender. Do you have a fuel reading on either Smartcraft?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    I have two smart craft guages, that do everything. No analog guages at all on boat. Digital readouts on both guages one tach and the other is a Speedo. I do not have a picture of the existing wiring going to the sender. But it definitely goes to the original boat wiring for sure. So my thoughts are it was intended for an analog guage. Traced it back by hand and it has the same plug as my livewell and bilge pumps do, not smart craft plugs for sure. Hope that helps to some degree.

6. Member
    I forgot to mention no fuel readings on either guage

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like they failed to install the Fuel Harness (which wires between the sending unit and the engine). It REPLACES the red (or pink) wire that originally ran to the sending unit.

Plugs directly into engine, fuel level is reported to the PCM, which in turn puts the information out on Smartcraft.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don can you tell me the correct harness I need? I’m getting conflicted information 8m0146321 or 8m00075945? Seems critical to get the right one. Serial 3b140274 has both smartcraft speedo and tachometer. Thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    EITHER will work. 8M00075945 shows 2 tank inputs on it (you can only use Tank-1, as Tank-2 is actually for a water-in-fuel sensor on a remote filter).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor