Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2 Blowouts on Recent Trip (Question about PSI)

I had my single axle trailer serviced 2 years ago and the shop replaced my 2 tires and spare with new Load Range D - Max 65 PSI tires. A couple days ago I checked the tires and they looked good - no cracks or other visible damage. I checked the pressure before I left for a trip to Deep Creek Lake and made sure each tire had the max 65 PSI as posted on the sidewall. The boat had 1/2 tank of gas and was not overloaded otherwise. I’ve been towing boats for 20+ years and have always heard for best performance keep max PSI in your trailer tires.

I left my house and the temp was in the high 90’s. I drove just about 70 miles west and had a blowout on the right tire. I pulled to the shoulder replaced the tire with my spare and continued my way. Roughly 50 miles later the left tire blew. I spent the night on the shoulder of the highway and in the morning took 2 tires to a local Goodyear shop where I purchased 2 new Endurance tires. I told the shop what had happended and he asked “did you have your tires inflated to max PSI”. I told him yes and he said “there is your problem”. He was adamant about reducing the PSI 8-10 pounds during the summer when driving up and down mountains with steep inclines and declines to account for excess heat and pressure build up causing a blowout. The mountains are only 3000 feet in Western Maryland so we are not talking Hoosier Pass / Colorado altitude 14,000 feet. So what does everyone say — listen to YouTubers saying keep tires at Max PSI or listen to a Tire Tech. I’m driving home Sunday and at this rate have increased concern. I normally tow in central Maryland and this was my first summer trip to Deep Creek. These were also my 1st blowouts in 20+ Years.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    So what does everyone say — listen to YouTubers saying keep tires at Max PSI or listen to a Tire Tech.

Listen to the tire engineers who designed the tires.

Tire size and load determine pressure needed in tire.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

3. Member
    Let me preface this by saying that I am not a tire expert. I had the same questions as you so i decided to run a test on my C range tires. I was always under the impression that under inflated tires reduce the load carrying capacity of the tire which in turn builds heat. This can lead to tire failure. I did a 40 mile run to the lake one day at 40 psi and checked the temp with an infrared thermometer. I then used the portable compressor and put them at the 50 psi max for the return trip home. I cant recall the exact numbers but they ran noticeably cooler on the return home. I run max and have never had an issue towing in the same general area you are in.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your tire guy is an idiot. Inflate to 65psi.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I’ve run max psi for 20 years and never had a problem. I’ve always listened to what I was told -“run at max psi on trailer tires”. Weird how both tires failed 50 miles a part from each other. Maybe they were just crap tires (being PowerKing Towmaster Vanguards). I have new Goodyear Endurance now.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Why would you run more pressure than what is needed ? That would cause uneven wear in the center of the tread. Even Goodyear has a chart on weight carried vs PSI. Do you go by the sidewalls on tires or your door jamb ?
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

I totally agree! Tires run cooler with the higher pressure. I suspect in the OP’s case the tires were junk to begin with. Tire manufactures take heat and load into consideration when setting PSI numbers. The Goodyear table is a great guide to load and psi. When in doubt run the max psi for a cooler running tire.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    I had the same experience last summer.....2 blew in about the same distance.....junk tires. I replaced all 4 with quality trailer tires designed for the load and no issues since. I run at max and now have a TPMS system that monitors all 4 plus my truck tires. I learned my lesson......hehe

9. Member
    Btw, tires can "look good" and be internally compromised. I bought a used 30' travel trailer about 4 years ago. I had a blowout 30 minutes after I took legal possession of the thing. The blowout blew out the floor, destroyed the main wiring harness, and the internal floor underneath the appliances.....totaled. Luckily State Farm covered it even though I hadn't had time to officially place the insurance......amazingly. That's why I now have the TPMS.

10. Member
    Max PSI.

Those were 2 year old tires and may not have been great. I have read lots of threads where guys replace at the 3 year mark regardless of wear.

11. Member
    Yup trailer tires, about three years, I sell tires and I have got to where I run automotive tires with far less issues
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Scraps
    Once this tire starts rolling the real pressure is over max pressure. Bad. 60psi would be good.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Once this tire starts rolling the real pressure is over max pressure. Bad. 60psi would be good.
    That is 100% incorrect. The tire isn’t labelled with max pressure, it’s labelled with max COLD pressure. That means you inflate it to that pressure before you start driving and the pressure rise from the heat is taken into consideration. Running them at 60psi would be underinflating them even if the pressure gets above 65 when the tire heats up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

That is 100% incorrect. The tire isn’t labelled with max pressure, it’s labelled with max COLD pressure. That means you inflate it to that pressure before you start driving and the pressure rise from the heat is taken into consideration. Running them at 60psi would be underinflating them even if the pressure gets above 65 when the tire heats up.

15. Scraps
    You're right, I forgot that detail. 65psi would be for "max load" which would be 8600lb for a tandem and Goodyear clearly states that pressure can be reduced based on the load carried.
    2017 Phoenix 819

16. Member
    What is/was the pressure rating of your valve stems?
    Read this: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=#post12616430

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Listen to the tire engineers who designed the tires.

Tire size and load determine pressure needed in tire.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
    I run Endurance tires on my tandem Skeeter trailer. Following the attached chart, I'd need to run 30 psi in each tire for my 4600 boat/trailer set up (4 times 1300 lbs = 5200 lbs). Not going to run them that low. The sidewalls will heat up causing a tire failure. Running them at 60-65 psi, I've seen no uneven wear and the tires don't get hot (hand test). I don't run 87 mph, either, mostly 70-75 on highway runs.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

18. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    I run Endurance tires on my tandem Skeeter trailer. Following the attached chart, I'd need to run 30 psi in each tire for my 4600 boat/trailer set up (4 times 1300 lbs = 5200 lbs). Not going to run them that low. The sidewalls will heat up causing a tire failure. Running them at 60-65 psi, I've seen no uneven wear and the tires don't get hot (hand test). I don't run 87 mph, either, mostly 70-75 on highway runs.
    Just got a new set for mine and this is what the "I bin doin' this for 40yrs" shop owner told me. He suggested 60. Don't go any lower for fear of doing sidewall damage. A couple trips and they ride really nice.
    2017 Phoenix 819

19. Member
    Tires should be inflated to the weight they are carrying. End of story. Now if you are not sure of the weight they have on the then inflate to max PSI for the tire as Cat said, that eliminates "most" of the errors. Does it give you max tread life and the best ride, more than likely not but it is safe. Even better, stay away from Chinese junk tires. IMHO that will eliminate 90% of the issues we are seeing.

On a side note I have been running a set of endurance tires since they came out and by the chart I am at 55psi and thats where they are inflated to. The trailer is a single axle and for at least 100 miles of my normal trip north they see 80+mph. The rest of the trip is 65 to 70mph one way. Never a issue and they ride great. Estimating about 8-10k on them. CJ
    Last edited by CJ1; 08-09-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

20. Member
    What is the average temperature of a tire to be considered running hot? Always in the discussion of under inflation is this leads to high temperatures and tire failure.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast