Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Tires should be inflated to the weight they are carrying. End of story. Now if you are not sure of the weight they have on the then inflate to max PSI for the tire as Cat said, that eliminates "most" of the errors. Does it give you max tread life and the best ride, more than likely not but it is safe. Even better, stay away from Chinese junk tires. IMHO that will eliminate 90% of the issues we are seeing.

On a side note I have been running a set of endurance tires since they came out and by the chart I am at 55psi and thats where they are inflated to. The trailer is a single axle and for at least 100 miles of my normal trip north they see 80+mph. The rest of the trip is 65 to 70mph one way. Never a issue and they ride great. Estimating about 8-10k on them. CJ
    Tire weight rating is integral with speed. Running 80, your chart is likely incorrect. As speed goes up, capacity goes down.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    What is the average temperature of a tire to be considered running hot? Always in the discussion of under inflation is this leads to high temperatures and tire failure.
    good question.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    good question.
    General consensus is 158 degrees indicates a problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Tire max PSI is the maximum that tire is rated to have in it, that doesn't mean that is what you should put in it. The PSI you run depends on load or what the trailer says on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Tire max PSI is the maximum that tire is rated to have in it, that doesn't mean that is what you should put in it. The PSI you run depends on load or what the trailer says on it.
    What if it's not the factory tires anymore?

7. Member
    Doesn't matter if they are the same size tire.

Doesn't matter if they are the same size tire.
    So, all tires regardless of brand or load rating--- take the same pressure so long as there the same size?

9. Member
    So, all tires regardless of brand or load rating--- take the same pressure so long as there the same size?
    If they are carrying the same weight yes pretty much. You can do the chalk trick on the tires to get it exact but I don't believe all of that is necessary just for trailer tires.

No need for chalk on my rig.
    Believe I'll do what the maker of that exact tire recommends.

11. Member
    No need for chalk on my rig.
    Believe I'll do what the maker of that exact tire recommends.
    Again max PSI is not what they reccomend, it is the maximum allowable PSI for that tire. You can inflate them to that if you want to but if your weight is considerably less than what the tires are rated for you don't need to. There is tire inflation charts that tell you what psi to inflate them to based on weight. Or you can go by what the trailer says since the manufuacuers do know how much weight will be on it. Do you inflate the tires on your vehicle to the maximum PSI that it says on the tire or what the vehicle manufacturer recommends on the door sticker?

Again max PSI is not what they reccomend, it is the maximum allowable PSI for that tire. You can inflate them to that if you want to but if your weight is considerably less than what the tires are rated for you don't need to. There is tire inflation charts that tell you what psi to inflate them to based on weight. Or you can go by what the trailer says since the manufuacuers do know how much weight will be on it. Do you inflate the tires on your vehicle to the maximum PSI that it says on the tire or what the vehicle manufacturer recommends on the door sticker?
    If it's the tires that came on the vehicle.
    Once I change to some good tires-- I use the new tire makers inflation chart.

Case in point--- had a trailer that came with Goodyear Marathon tires. Trailer sticker said {inflate to 44 PSI}
    Max on tire was something like 55 PSI---Once they started blowing--Goodyear came out and said, For Hiway speeds inflate to 65 PSI
    When in doubt --I inflate to 5 PSI under max on sidewall.

13. Member
    folks I have been installing tires, selling tires, using tires, boats cars, tractors, lawnmowers etc. if you want to lower the lifespan of a tire, which allows me to sell more, please do underinflate said tire, now let’s look a ford suv, do any of you remember the Firestone deal. Well guess what, ford said 30 psi on a 50 psi tire. Outcome was sidewall was collapsing in a abrupt way, that was due to tire design, was designed to be inflated to 50 psi which not only does inflation help or hurt tire wear and affect heat, it is required to be inflated to that pressure for sidewall strength. Any tire needs to be inflated to max or within 5 to 10 psi while cold, never ever below that. Now I have a Denali suv, same bullshit, 2755520, 44 psi tire, gm says 32 I believe, not no but hell no will I inflate to that. It goes straight to 44. Test yourself in a abrupt jerk, at manufactures pressure and see what happens. Go back to max pressure and give it another try, u will never run what any manufacturer puts in door again. You will put max pressure that the Tire MANUFACTURER SAYS.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    folks I have been installing tires, selling tires, using tires, boats cars, tractors, lawnmowers etc. if you want to lower the lifespan of a tire, which allows me to sell more, please do underinflate said tire, now let’s look a ford suv, do any of you remember the Firestone deal. Well guess what, ford said 30 psi on a 50 psi tire. Outcome was sidewall was collapsing in a abrupt way, that was due to tire design, was designed to be inflated to 50 psi which not only does inflation help or hurt tire wear and affect heat, it is required to be inflated to that pressure for sidewall strength. Any tire needs to be inflated to max or within 5 to 10 psi while cold, never ever below that. Now I have a Denali suv, same bullshit, 2755520, 44 psi tire, gm says 32 I believe, not no but hell no will I inflate to that. It goes straight to 44. Test yourself in a abrupt jerk, at manufactures pressure and see what happens. Go back to max pressure and give it another try, u will never run what any manufacturer puts in door again. You will put max pressure that the Tire MANUFACTURER SAYS.
    Most experts and manufacturers including Firestone, and Goodyear disagree with you.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...tire-pressure/

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn...e-air-pressure

https://tweel.michelinman.com/scheduledCareTips.html

https://www.mastercrafttires.com/saf...how-to-inflate

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...-tire-pressure

https://tirehungry.com/should-i-fill...es-to-max-psi/

https://motorandwheels.com/inflated-max-psi/

https://www.kaltire.com/en/about-tire-pressure.html

https://drivingpress.com/recommended-tire-pressure/

https://maclintruckandtrailer.com/20...he-difference/

https://evanstire.com/how-do-i-find-...re-for-my-car/

https://www.hi-techcarcare.com/tire/...tire-pressure/
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 08-11-2022 at 08:51 PM.

15. Member
    When I replace trailer tires, I always upgrade to a higher load rating if possible. That means a higher max inflation rating. I inflate to a few PSI lower than the max on these higher load rated tires, ignoring the trailer manufacturer's suggested PSI. Never had a problem. Opinions?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Tire weight rating is integral with speed. Running 80, your chart is likely incorrect. As speed goes up, capacity goes down.
    Tires are rated to 87mph. I would figure they have this in the formula or there would be different ratings. BUT they have been running fine at the specified pressure. So the proof is in the pudding so to speak!! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

17. Member
    I think the tire tech probably knows what he is talking about . I just read online that tire pressure goes up 1 PSI with every 10 Degree F increase in temp and also goes up with an increase in altitude . A Sea Level to 3000 ft altitude increase can raise the tire pressure 1.2-1.8 PSI . You could get the tires into a "Thermal Runaway " situation where the temperature and pressure keeps rising faster and faster as you drive .

Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    "Thermal Runaway " situation where the temperature and pressure keeps rising faster and faster as you drive .
    Happens every time I ride with wife.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    But your profile says your occupation is Commercial Laundry Sales Service and HVAC. So do you sell tires on the side ? I have also sold, installed and run tires on a lot of different vehicles but I never heard doing what you are recommending. I not saying your wrong but it's hard to believe.

20. Member
    Learnt my lesson in other posts and just going to watch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast