Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Should have ate that snakehead

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I am quite aware of that fact. They will never go away. It was wrong for someone to release tham into American waters. I have been following the Snakehead saga since they were first discovered here in 2002. They are here to stay, killing individuals has absolutely no effect, they hatch about 50,000 young per year.

If you're going to kill something do it quickly and humanely. A rotting 8 to 12 pound fish isn't a good addition to our waters. Killikg them has no effect on their presence, however most states ask anglers to kill them. Sorry, I don't like them, but I don't have to kill them.

BTW, they have teeth but their bite is generally not fatal to humans.
    Agree. They're here to stay. They haven't negatively impacted the bass population that I've seen. This one from 2017 towed me around for a bit before I landed it. That's a discontinued XCalibur one knock that I wanted back. He went back alive. He's probably the one that got my last Tennessee Special squarebill earlier this season

55FE2EF6-BFF8-4AAA-9747-0AF0CC365497.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

I generally like snakes. If a venomous snake is around the house, it is either getting relocated or dispatched. Out in the woods or in the fields, they get a pass since I am in their environment. I have a large rat snake and an eastern king snake around the house that I believe is a perfect pair. The king keeps away the copperheads and the rat takes care of my squirrels, chipmunks, and mice.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-06-2022 at 05:43 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    Hopefully enough for a belt
    Not if he weighs 240lbs. Posted by a fat boy.

Umm, a snakehead and a snake are two different things...and a rattlesnake and copperhead certainly aren't snakehead fishes....
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I generally like snakes. If a venomous snake is around the house, it is either getting relocated or dispatched. Out in the woods or in the fields, they get a pass since I am in their environment. I have a large rat snake and an eastern king snake that I believe is a perfect pair. The king keeps away the copperheads and the rat takes care of my squirrels, chipmunks, and mice.
    This is the way I feel as well. We live on 35 acres. 7 acres is cleared land. The poisionus snakes have 28 acres to feel safe. The non poisonous have all 35 acres. We do have a big rat snake that I see go in and under our house and several banded water snakes that hang around our pond, which is very close to the house
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Nope. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand02 View Post
    I tend to not bother any snakes unless they are venomous. I agree with the OP that I would have dispatched them also. To much of a risk to people and livestock.
    Absolutely. There is no good purpose for a venomous snake. Black snakes are all we need. They do serve a good purpose.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

That’s definitely a full grown copperhead. Don’t see many much bigger.

10. Member
    If the snake can bite and cause a hospital visit then yes it is going to be dispatched. They will get a pass otherwise.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    If the snake can bite and cause a hospital visit then yes it is going to be dispatched. They will get a pass otherwise.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Cost of anti venom, emergency room, maybe hospital stay and an air med, are not worth getting bit.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterStarfire View Post
    Not if he weighs 240lbs. Posted by a fat boy.
    Haha that gave me a good laugh out loud, i also am a fat boy.

Don't those snakeheads eat pretty good? I hear the rattlesnakes do too...but I ain't eating no rattlesnake...I will draw the line in the dirt...it just st ain't gonna happen...I ain't that hungry...

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Rarely does it happen like this. ..

It's amazing how similar in color they look, yet it appears One is a Rattler for sure- can see the Rattles- and the other looks to not have any- like maybe a Copperhead?

The Story of how they were found- if they were together- or what will be interesting to read, Please share!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    It's amazing how similar in color they look, yet it appears One is a Rattler for sure- can see the Rattles- and the other looks to not have any- like maybe a Copperhead?

The Story of how they were found- if they were together- or what will be interesting to read, Please share!

They weren't very far apart..maybe a couple 100 feet in a field...

Jonathan Hillstrand

16. Member
    I let a King snake go the other day. It is very lucky. We have a creek and pond on out property. My general rule is if I see a snake he dies. I don't care who thinks what about it. He messes around here he dies. As long as he is elsewhere or out of sight he's safe from me but he better be careful.

I run over several on the lawnmower every year on the back side of the pond levee. Between the lawnmower and shot gun we keep them thinned out.

17. Member
    If it will hurt or kill someone or our pets without being provoked it gets eliminated. Otherwise everything is welcome including momma bear and her cubs every 2 years! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I fish in waters that have quite a few Northern Snakeheads. At my last tournament one of the competitors brought in a Snakehead in to weigh and then brag about and after everyone saw it they beat it to death against the concrete steps. I don't like Snakeheads, but they are one of God's creatures and didn't ask to be here and will never go away, never. I just turn them back in if I can get my lure back out of them.
    That said, Snakeheads won't kill me or my dog. They don't hide and strike me if I accidentally step on them. I say if you feel the need, humanely send them to snake heaven. Seeing a picture of one is as close as I want to get to one.

If I was a Tournament Director and one of my competitors wasted everyone's time by bringing ANYTHING other than an allowed (Largemouth, Smallmouth. Spot, etc.) fish to the scales there would be ONE stern warning and then if it happened again that person wouldn't be fish'n in my tournaments again. Guys used to do stupid shit like that back in the days when I was still fish'n Bass Club tournaments for the simple fact that they never caught ANYTHING and they wanted to show that they were actually capable of catching "a fish", but I would never expect to see something like that at a regular tournament and if it happened, I would hope that the other competitors would let that person know how immature it was.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    If I was a Tournament Director and one of my competitors wasted everyone's time by bringing ANYTHING other than an allowed (Largemouth, Smallmouth. Spot, etc.) fish to the scales there would be ONE stern warning and then if it happened again that person wouldn't be fish'n in my tournaments again. Guys used to do stupid shit like that back in the days when I was still fish'n Bass Club tournaments for the simple fact that they never caught ANYTHING and they wanted to show that they were actually capable of catching "a fish", but I would never expect to see something like that at a regular tournament and if it happened, I would hope that the other competitors would let that person know how immature it was.
    Wow, sounds like your club would be a barrel of laughs! Gotta keep it serious. If I was in a local club and someone caught a big perch/crappie/pickerel I'd be curious to see how much it weighed because I'm a fisherman and that sort of thing interests me. That's not to say I'd want guys bringing in little bluegills or 6" smallmouths

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    WOW! THATS the reason ill never bank fish in AL!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast