Weak Tell Tale and barely adequate water pressure

2020 Mercury 225 ProXS Four Stroke SN 2B690767. It has a weak tell-tale and barely acceptable water pressure (on my Mercmonitor) at idle. Most times it is 0.5 or 0.8. I do not get an alarm no matter how long I let it idle. The coolant temperature after a long run has gone up to 185 (no alarm) but did cool down after I added a little throttle (in gear) to get the WP up. I am a bit concerned that I have debris somewhere in the system. The water pump was changed by Don during its 100 hour service in case it was the issue. It is the same now as it was before Don blessed it with his presence.

Just today, I checked the two water filters that are easy to access. They were clean. I know there is a third one but do not know where it is or how to access it? Any other ideas that may be causing this or is this normal?

185Temp.png
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-05-2022 at 06:02 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might consider pulling the thermostat and checking to make sure there's no debris stuck in it (really easy to take apart and clean). Can remove/inspect without removing oetiker clamp, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I will check them in the morning.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

4. Member
    Shouldnt an alarm go off at 180?

No debris in the thermostat but it was pretty cruddy. I removed it and cleaned off with warm water only and put it back in. That may solve the temperature issue but I doubt it will solve the weak WP and tell tale.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Member
    Might want to drop that lower unit and inspect that top plate gasket. They
    are known to come apart and cause high temp issues
    also lo water pressure.

7. Member
    I have a 175 hp doing the same thing but temp is ok. Had the water pump replaced by merc mechanic after 3 yrs (less than 100 hrs) this past May. Wp was .5 - .8 at idle after a run with the new pump. Decided to replace water pump last weekend. Took it out after replacing and wp at idle is .6 - .8 after a run but after about a min. of idling goes up to 1.5 or so.

My 250 pro xs at idle is anywhere between .6 and 1.2 or so, havent seen above about 145 deg. Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    My 250 pro xs at idle is anywhere between .6 and 1.2 or so, havent seen above about 145 deg. Temp
    Same on mine
    2B576211

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ron- something there is not right. Not overly surprised with the water pressure, but you should NOT be hitting 180 degrees (unless perhaps you turned the key on and didn't start the engine for a period of time while you put stuff away, etc).

If you can get free, I can get you in.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I had a tournament yesterday and saw temps in the mid 170s so something is still not quite right. I will call you on Monday to set up a good time to come up to see you.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please do.