Thread: Lithium report

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Lithium report

So went out today to check out my newly installed lithium for my electronics that powers three solix units, mega 360 and live. I was skeptical about a better image although that is not why I added the battery but let me say I was totally impressed to say the least! I could see my ned rig 60 feet out no problem. Many folks wont believe me and that’s fine but for me with latest update and lithium battery I’m a happy humminbird owner
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

I run two 125's in parallel and if I am running around at all I can go two to three 14 hour days without charging, and three solid days on my TM. Good lithiums are IMO the single biggest upgrade you can make to your boat.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    16V or 12V lithium?
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    16v
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Is it considered acceptable to run your electronics at 16 volts? Doesn't sound like a good idea, but maybe there's something I don't know.
    2020 Caymas CX20 Pro, Mercury Pro XS 250 4 stroke, SN 2B735045
    Helix 15 msi G4N, Helix 12 msi G3N, Helix 12 mdi G4N, Solix 12 G1
    Mega 360, Mega Live w/ Targetlock, 8' Raptors,
    Minkota Ultrex 112 w/Ipilot Link, (2) 5 Port Switches

6. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by venomvee View Post
    Is it considered acceptable to run your electronics at 16 volts? Doesn't sound like a good idea, but maybe there's something I don't know.
    the voltage range is up to 20 volts
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

7. Member
    Mega live states 10 to 12 volts. The fishfinders should be fine though. You need to look at each item you have that you are at 16 volts. What is the output voltage of the 16 volt battery fully charged? A 12 volt LiFeP04 is about 13.4 volts. Just make sure you are not over the range for any electronics. Most phone chargers you plug into the boat should have a label stating input voltage. Somethings will work fine and the maximum is usually padded a bit.(listed slightly lower than the absolute voltage that will kill it. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Mega live states 10 to 12 volts. The fishfinders should be fine though. You need to look at each item you have that you are at 16 volts. What is the output voltage of the 16 volt battery fully charged? A 12 volt LiFeP04 is about 13.4 volts. Just make sure you are not over the range for any electronics. Most phone chargers you plug into the boat should have a label stating input voltage. Somethings will work fine and the maximum is usually padded a bit.(listed slightly lower than the absolute voltage that will kill it. JMO Bob
    interesting comments Bob. Because of this I just contacted powerhouse lithium CEO who I happen to know and lives in the local area. He told me they contacted humminbird previously and they told him there would be no problem with any of my electronics. Thanks again for raising this concern
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. Member
    Glad they reassured you. I would like to hear that from humminbird. Especially on the Mega live. I think their specs ML are a bit unusual and a very small range. It may be a typo, but that is who I would check with if I had chosen 16 volt batteries. I am sure your neighbor and CEO of your battery company is telling you what someone told him about humminbird ,says is OK but that is a large group of products. I always try to err on the safe side. Bob

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Glad they reassured you. I would like to hear that from humminbird. Especially on the Mega live. I think their specs ML are a bit unusual and a very small range. It may be a typo, but that is who I would check with if I had chosen 16 volt batteries. I am sure your neighbor and CEO of your battery company is telling you what someone told him about humminbird ,says is OK but that is a large group of products. I always try to err on the safe side. Bob
    agree so I sent an email to HB to confirm
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I just checked the latest installation guide and, as Bob states, the specs do show a 10 to 12 V range. There is also a warning about only connecting to a 12V power source in the setup instructions.

I would definitely check with Humminbird on the 16V battery.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Not sure about accessories but their graphs are 12-20v.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

13. Member
    SlyDoggie & Bob
    That is a very good catch but something has to be wrong with the Humminbird specs. With those specs, the Mega Live is “technically” not even compatible with a “regular” battery since a fully charged “regular” battery is 12.6 to 12.8 volts. I think Humminbird would like to clarify those specs.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    SlyDoggie & Bob
    That is a very good catch but something has to be wrong with the Humminbird specs. With those specs, the Mega Live is “technically” not even compatible with a “regular” battery since a fully charged “regular” battery is 12.6 to 12.8 volts. I think Humminbird would like to clarify those specs.
    Agree, but I would still check with Humminbird before connecting Mega Live to a 16V battery.

15. Member
    I mentioned my skepticism, but the point is there are items that are not ok with 16 volts. Those really came about for motorcycle and racing engines. There are many traditionally not boat or auto accessories that would be sensitive to 16 volts as well.(usb and other items in consumer electronics for example) Most things will do fine, just be a bit more vigilant with accessories. Bob

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Phoenix Jim, I am very interested in more details on your 16V experience as well as what Humminbird says about using 16V with Mega Live. Were you having any voltage drop issues before you installed the 16V battery? Any other specifics would be helpful.

I posted the http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1185376 thread a while back asking for 16V real life experience with Humminbird products but didn't get any conclusive answers.

In my case, I troll with my electronics connected to my starting battery so it is always at 13+V. I'm still dubious that I would receive any benefit from a 16V battery.

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Steve, I’ve only been out once since the install but again I was super impressed. To see a ned rig out 60 plus really clear when I couldn’t in the past is all I need to know. Previously my three solix units would see a drop in voltage throughout the day to like 11 or 10.8 or whatever and now they stay at 16 volts and I’m convinced that higher voltage and or dedicated battery has to make some difference because that is all I changed. I am concerned about what Bob is saying regarding the mega live and waiting to hear from humminbird on that but both powerhouse and my installer say it’s not a problem and that they checked with HB but again I need to pursue that more but I suspect HB will say the company line and not recommend it. I was also thinking though why would that be an issue since pros pretty much run all lithium with their live. Also, my installer said the same thing Mike said above regarding voltage output of a regular 12 volt battery apparently exceeding the mega live requirement although granted it’s not 16 volts but it works fine. Hopefully I hear from HB tomorrow
    Last edited by Phoenix Jim; 08-07-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Steve, I’ve only been out once since the install but again I was super impressed. To see a ned rig out 60 plus really clear when I couldn’t in the past is all I need to know. Previously my three solix units would see a drop in voltage throughout the day to like 11 or 10.8 or whatever and now they stay at 16 volts and I’m convinced that higher voltage and or dedicated battery has to make some difference because that is all I changed. I am concerned about what Bob is saying regarding the mega live and waiting to hear from humminbird on that but both powerhouse and my installer say it’s not a problem and that they checked with HB but again I need to pursue that more but I suspect HB will say the company line and not recommend it. I was also thinking though why would that be an issue since pros pretty much run all lithium with their live. Also, my installer said the same thing Mike said above regarding voltage output of a regular 12 volt battery apparently exceeding the mega live requirement although granted it’s not 16 volts but it works fine. Hopefully I hear from HB tomorrow
    Has anyone considered what the outboard motor charging voltage is that is charging the battery that the electronics are connected to? Would anyone turn off the power to MEGA LIVE before starting the outboard?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Has anyone considered what the outboard motor charging voltage is that is charging the battery that the electronics are connected to? Would anyone turn off the power to MEGA LIVE before starting the outboard?
    I do run all my electronics, including Mega Live on my starting battery as I troll and have consistently mid 13 volts. Hadn't really given the voltage a thought since it is a 12V battery.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I do run all my electronics, including Mega Live on my starting battery as I troll and have consistently mid 13 volts. Hadn't really given the voltage a thought since it is a 12V battery.
    Have not seen any reports about the Mercury 4S wrecking anyone's electronics. They were tripping Lithium battery BMS's for high voltage using those batteries for starting at first before the BMS's were adjusted for it and now there are starting rated Lithiums.
    Do not think Mercury changed their voltage regulation for Lithium battery use.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast