Clean Power Wiring Harness

2019 175 Pro XS

Serial Number 2B596602

Got stranded on the lake yesterday in 104 degree heat for a couple of hours after pulling the grandkids on the tube for around 3 hours that morning. EVERYTHING suddenly went dead, except for the trolling motor system. I was able to find the problem, which turned out to be a 5 amp fuse that’s part of what Mercury calls a “Clean Power” wiring harness. The fuse must’ve blown on start-up, as I’d just turned the motor off a few minutes earlier to change riders.

I wanted to pass this info along, in the event that someone else experiences the same problem. It’s an easy fix, if you know what to look for.

This wire appears (from the Mercury diagram) to run to the motor. What does it actually connect to?

What would cause this fuse to blow?
    Last edited by WestTexasRanger; 08-05-2022 at 10:30 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The clean-power harness provides uninterrupted and "clean" power to the PCM on the engine. It must be connected DIRECTLY TO THE ENGINE CRANKING BATTERY AT ALL TIMES (it should not be on a battery "switch").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don, thanks for the reply. My boat is a 2020 Ranger and it came rigged from the factory with the Mercury ProXS and battery cut-off on it. I guess the guy doing the work didn’t get the “Connect this Wire Directly to the Battery” memo. I’ll make it right later today.

Any idea on what would’ve cause the fuse to blow?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That could be charger, battery connection, switch connection, switch SELECTION, or a short in the harness or engine (anything that causes an overload will blow the fuse).

I would wait until it's on the ENGINE CRANKING BATTERY before installing the new fuse, and then monitor to see if you have any further problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor