Thread: Rod blank help

Rod blank help

I am just starting this rod building adventure; I think this could be addicting
    I'm in the process of building a small jig and plastics rod on a Rainshadow Rx 10 ETEC72MH-S, now I want to do a cranking rod for shallow to med divers and am looking at these, which one would be a better fit for maybe a square bill to a DT 10-14, Thanks

IMMP70MH-TC 7'0" 8-17 1/4-3/4 1 .480 5.0 MF 1.7 MH

JDGCB70MH-CG 7' 12-20 3/8-1 1 0.665 6.5 M-Fast 2.6oz MH

X10-Composite - B 7'0" 8-20 1/4-1 1 0.545 5.5 Moderate 1.8oz

X11-Composite - B 7'0" 10-25 1/2-3 1 0.561 5.5 Moderate 2.1oz

2. Member
    I just built a crankbait rod on a Phenix XG2, it is a 7'-4" Medium Moderate glass rod. Comparing it to my older St Croix Pro Glass, it doesn't quite live up to my expectations, though it is very very similar to any of the modern glass crankbait rods I have used. And that range of baits is exactly what I built it for, did a comparison side by side going from a BX Big Brat (6') to a DT6, DT8, DT10, DT14, and 5XD, same reels, same line.

To me a lot of the newer fiberglass blanks, even the St Croix Legend Tournament Glass, feel muddy in comparison to the old Pro Glass. They absolutely will get the job done and if you are good with slightly less feedback from the bait, it will work great for you. I just got so used to the Pro Glass, it fishes like a graphite blank from a sensitivity perspective, but folds over like a glass blank should under load. If I can find a blank that has the feel of the old Pro Glass, I will buy it in a split second, and I will probably buy 6 of them. But nothing I have found matches up, yet.

The only one I have found that comes close is the Dobyns Champ XP Glass, but I got the 7'-6" MH (765) rather than the M (764). I generally throw DT16-DT20 or 6XD-10XD on that, or my 3/4oz traps, and it does a good job. But its also a $270 dollar rod.

3. Member
    I'll tell you this, those IMMP70MH are rather powerful rods... I have two blanks here at the house that I'm not sure exactly how I want to use them. The IMMP70M might be better suited for what you are looking for in the Rainshadow line up.

Better question to start with might be do you prefer glass, composite, or graphite. There are so many options out there across all materials and price points for crankbaits. I find it hard to land on any one blank... like the glass/composite blanks for certain applications and graphite for others.

Honestly, considering you are just starting out I would stick with some more budget friendly blanks for crankbaits... the judge blank is pricey. I just started about 1.5 years ago and even as much as I put into my first builds, they just aren't close to what I can produce now.

Rod Geeks has a great composite blank for crankbaits that would cover your needs, very inexpensive, and has worked great for many people. SG70MHM... $59.00 + shipping. It'll throw 1.5 crankbait up to a 5XD.

Might also consider Thrasher Blanks... the magic wand series in 3 power makes for a good squarebill blank.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

4. Member
    +1 on the rod geeks glass rods. very nice blanks

might try the NFC delta hybrid CB704 and 705.. interesting hybrid with a newer S glass and Zentron. wait till they are on sale.

5. Member
    Thanks for all the advice, it's gave me some things to think about

6. Member
    +1 on the NFC Delta Hybrid CB 704.