GPSMAP 7612 vs Echomap 126

Hey, I bought a boat about a year ago and have been running 7612 units and a 1222 for livescope. I'm thinking about swapping over to Echomap. Most of what is driving this the lack of capability to the GT56 transducer. Due to the higher price of the 7600 units it's basically an even swap going from a used 7612 to a new Echomap 126xsv. However I could gain current side vu tech by adding GCV 20 and get the GT36 transducer. But think I'd actually save some money by just swapping to Echomap with a GT56.

My main question is for those running Garmin have you run both the 7600 series and Echomap and what do you think? I know the 7600/8600 series are technically higher end units as far as price and resolution but the bass boats I've seen rigged are all Echomap.

On the Echomap side I like the idea of the quicker release head units, although I've read some people have had problems with them. I also like the future upgrade path as I will never spend the money on going to a 8612.

Just thought I'd ask for some opinions on the issue.

Thanks!

I've used 7600s but have had Ultra 126 units on my last two boats. All around, I love the Ultra units. Yes, I miss a few of the extra features offered by the 7600/8600s (station and sonar preset settings). But, given the 7600s are legacy units now, the Ultra 126 would be the obvious choice for me. I've had zero trouble with the quick-release cradles and prefer them for easy removal when travelling.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    Thanks you! You are just the kind of guy I was hoping to hear from!