Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you carry for a tow rope?

I had to pull a friend's boat off of a sand bar in the Apalachicola River yesterday. I realized that the rope I had on board was not optimal for the job, so I am shopping for a 50 foot long rope to carry in the boat. All I seem to find are ropes for pulling inflatables.

Are there any specific considerations I should be looking for? Is a floating rope a good idea?
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I had to pull a friend's boat off of a sand bar in the Apalachicola River yesterday. I realized that the rope I had on board was not optimal for the job, so I am shopping for a 50 foot long rope to carry in the boat. All I seem to find are ropes for pulling inflatables.

Are there any specific considerations I should be looking for? Is a floating rope a good idea?
    i carry a fifty footer and a 20 foot dock line.
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    I have a 100 foot long quality rope deep in a compartment hoping it never needs to be used.

4. Member
    I have a 1/2” nylon rope in my boat it’s 30-50’ long. Bought it at Rural King. Any hardware store will have it.

5. Member
    Just stays in the boat. Old Ski rope hook on one end handle on the other. If I ever need it I guess I’ll cut the handle off or tie it some how????

6. Member
    Get yourself a 100’ braided nylon rope at least 3/8” diameter. You need long enough to get in deep enough water to do the trick. Check the breaking strength and get the highest you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have a 100 foot long quality rope deep in a compartment hoping it never needs to be used.
    Same and already used a few times.

8. Member
    We carry a 100’ wrapped up in a dry bag. Strictly have it in there for towing. 50’ will work, but I want a little more distance between boats just make sure their boat doesn’t crash into mine.

9. Member
    I always make sure my tow rope has a latch on the end so I can just hook it on my bow eye and not worry about a knot being pulled to tight and having to be cut off.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

I carry a cellphone and a list of people that owe me favors.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

11. Member
    I have a fifty foot nylon rope that I use to launch my boat when I am by myself. It would makes great tow rope.

I have a 50’ rope I use to launch solo along with two 25’ ropes for tying to the dock. When I used to have a family,
    I towed my kids on a tube and used one of the rope things that hook to the back of the boat and has a float. I still have it and keep it in the boat. I towed a plastic pond boat with a little trolling motor on Champlain onetime with the tube rope. They tried fishing on a windy day and ran out of juice. The wind blew them away from the ramp.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

100 ft of 1/2" braided nylon rope

I have a 100 ft. braided anchor rope. Has a little give, but it works. Used to pull twice, worked both times.

15. Member
    Have an anchor rope 100 ft long.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I have a 50’ rope I use to launch solo along with two 25’ ropes for tying to the dock. When I used to have a family,
    I towed my kids on a tube and used one of the rope things that hook to the back of the boat and has a float. I still have it and keep it in the boat. I towed a plastic pond boat with a little trolling motor on Champlain onetime with the tube rope. They tried fishing on a windy day and ran out of juice. The wind blew them away from the ramp.
    I've always kept one of those Y shaped tube gadgets to connect to both stern cleats and a 50' rope and used it several times towing others. The one time I needed to be towed I had taken the 50' rope out for some reason and was stuck with a dry rotted 20' rope that broke in less than a half mile. Go figure. 20' is too short.

I carry two 25ft tow straps with the hooks attached and about 50 ft of tow rope.

50 or 100’ 3/8” nylon. Bigger is usual better, but I’ve towed many a boat with 3/8”.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I carry a cellphone and a list of people that owe me favors.
    Tim .. Just call and Jane and I would be on the road to help you ..

20. Member
    100' of 1/2 anchor rope coiled on an extension cord reel, and yes I have an anchor on the boat as well just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast