Moving out of PIV?

I currently have a 2012 PIV which I am thinking of moving out of and looking at the Caracal or Cougar. I am not a tournament guy, don't go out on really big water and bad weather and don't really care about high end speed. Just looking for a high quality, wide stable platform as I'm getting older. How does the Caracal or Cougar compare with the PIV? Thanks in advance for the information

Most in your position prefer the Caracal on this decision. They initially like the P4 floor plan a little better, then they adapt well to the Caracal.

3. Member
    I am 65 and love the Caracal deck space. I came out of a P2 for that very reason, deck space.

4. Member
    I am 71 and am in a 2019 Classic, having moved from a P2 for more deck space. If I were going a little bigger and more HP, the Caracal would be the boat. Having had a Cougar, I would choose the Caracal ahead of it if wanting a nice wide, stable platform.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    I am exactly like the OP and some above - I prefer width/storage vs. speed. Being 58 I know my next boat will be a BC of that type of design - this coming from a guy with an older model Pantera Classic (narrow front end).

6. Member
    If I were in your position, I would be looking at the Caracal.

I sold my my Cougar to move to the Puma STS for the wider deck.

The Cougar isn’t bad, but it’s not wide by any means.
    2023 Puma STS

7. Member
    I had an 09 Cougar and now a 2020 Classic, it's wider then the cougar. So, if you want wide, then go with Caracal.

8. Member
    I came out of an 06 PIV, into a 22 Caracal. The PIV has an amazing ride, but no comparison to the Caracal. So many times in the PIV I would tell my wife, "Hold on!", at first in the Caracal I would say the same, and nothing....the Caracal is faster, rides better, smother, easier, not sure if it's the seats, hull, or all the above, but I absolutely love the Caracal - coming from the PIV....the only thing I hate is the net storage in Caracal. You will miss having it at your feet like in the PIV...I've had my Caracal 11 months, been through 2 nets because I can't get them out of that dang scabbard....there is a method to it, it's just not user friendly for me.

9. Member
    I'm 68 and sold my 2016 Puma and purchased a 2022 Cougar. I looked at a Caracal, but I will sacrifice the narrower front deck on my Cougar to keep an easier step to the front deck.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeesy View Post
    ”but I absolutely love the Caracal - coming from the PIV....the only thing I hate is the net storage in Caracal. You will miss having it at your feet like in the PIV...I've had my Caracal 11 months, been through 2 nets because I can't get them out of that dang scabbard....there is a method to it, it's just not user friendly for me.”
    We suggest you look at the fasteners of the top plate and those can grab the net and we expect yours are. These were spec’d with a short rivet and the factory floor staff altered the intended rivet for good reasons. It just should have went back to the R&D team for some tweaking on fasteners. We believe you can resolve the net grabbing fasteners and we are working on a resolution internally. This came to light from a comment like yours and we too are humans. Check it out and we are working on it also.