Replace handles w/o removing guides?

I have several spinning rods that I would like to replace the grips WITHOUT removing the guides…possible? I don’t want to do a complete rebuild on all these rods…just upgrading from worn/loose/slip ring grips on some older Loomis rods. Anybody know a good “hack”? Thanks, Scott

2. Member
    Are you saying your rods have tennessee grips with not reel seat?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    Are you saying your rods have tennessee grips with not reel seat?
    Two have those grips (didn’t know that was the name) & one has current grips.

4. Member
    It can be done, but will require rubber winding checks to be installed as they can stretch just enough to get over the butt end of the rod but still give a tight fit at the front of the handle (see arbor comment below). Or you could do a hidden hood type deal with a Fuji KSKSS hood and cork or EVA cover and just ream the hole out a little bigger to fit over the butt end of the rod. It will require careful deconstruction of the existing grip and there is going to be a hell of a job when it comes to getting the original epoxy glue off the handle section down to the bare blank. Going to need to drill out the new grip material so it can slip over the butt end of the rod and create tape arbors to match the diameter of the butt, glue it all back up. That winding check would cover the gap between the blank and handle material after install. Definitely not a task for the faint of heart, but if the rods are otherwise perfect and you really want it, yes it can be done.

5. Member
    If they're Tennessee grips just turn or file down the cork and use that as an arbor. Leave an inch or so (2 rings worth) at the front the existing size and that's your foregrip. For behind the seat just use 2 rings. When I go from the back I ream the rings so that I really have to force them over the butt of the rod and then there's not much of a gap to make up. Then just use 4 or 5 rings for the butt end. You're going to have to hand shape everything, pretty coarse bastard file to start the shape and then a finer file and finally 80 grit and 120 grit foam sanding blocks.

I don't have a lathe so I've been hand shaping my handles since the beginning. Takes some time but they come out great.

6. Member
    If you are looking to use pre-made grips do as Millwork4fish suggested, buy, or bore grips to the diameter of the blank, or leftover cork you leave and just slide the new grips and reel seat over what exists.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    If you are looking to use pre-made grips do as Millwork4fish suggested, buy, or bore grips to the diameter of the blank, or leftover cork you leave and just slide the new grips and reel seat over what exists.
    I was talking about just turning down the cork and using that as the arbor for the new seat.