1985 Mercury 35 hp Head Cover install

I am working on my old 1985 Mercury 35 hp SN 0A120528 that is on my old Bass Tracker. It died last week while running at full speed and steam came out the pee hole as it died. The motor seems to be fine. It started just fine once I got home but was not peeing with the hose attached. There was water coming out at the spark plugs from under the head cover.

I have taken the water pump apart to be sure the PO installed a new impeller and did it correctly. There was a gasket with a small chunk missing on the plate so I replaced that and the lower unit is now back on the engine. I also removed the head cover plate, have cleaned all the surfaces and will install the new gasket today if it arrives.

My question is should any sealer be used on the head cover plate gasket?

The old Clymer shop manual I have does not mention any sealer for installing the cover and there was none on the old gasket that I could tell. I do belive it was the original gasket since the bolts still had all their original paint.

Thanks, Charlie
    1994 Ranger 374V/1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series VJ150ELATR

2. Member
    no sealer
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks for confirming no sealer. The motor is back together and ready to test in the morning.

4. Member
    The test this morning did not go so well. There is exhaust coming out of the pee hole instead of water. The motor is still running just fine but I did not run it long since exhaust gasses must be pressurizing the water jacket. I sure hope it is a gasket and not a major issue. I have not taken an outboard completely apart before, but i may be doing that to find the problem.

I will start researching before diving into the internals.

Any suggestions of what this may be?

5. Member
    find missing chunk ???? how come no water outa tell tale ?????? gotta find out that first
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I tried doing some tests of my own today when I got home. I started with putting the muffs and garden hose on and test running to see if any water came out the pee hole. None did. Then I removed the thermostat cover ( there is no thermostat in the engine) and did the same test to see if water came up to the thermostat cover. None did. Next I removed the lower unit then used a funnel and poured a bucket of water into the thermostat opening. Water did then come out the pee hole. It also dribbled out of the tube from the water pump up to the block. However, much more water was coming down the inside of the extension housing. Not sure its origin since the exhaust tube was loose. But it appeared to be coming from that area best I could tell. I also tried blowing compressed air into the copper tube toward the motor but never got it to build any pressure. It looked like some of the water had come from around the tube at the top. Then the water tube came out easily. I thought maybe the grommet is bad too. The copper tube was clear. I think if there is a blockage, it must be on the bottom of the engine.

So, I went ahead and ordered gaskets and seals to remove the powerhead and reseal it to the lower section along with new seals for the water tube.

I hope I am going in the right direction.

7. Member
    OK, Joe54, I did as you suggested and I think I may have found the problem. I took the powerhead off this morning after I fabricated a lifting nut.

20220806_063934 (Large).jpg

This is what I found:

20220806_064149 with arrows (Large).jpg

Bits of old impeller arms inside the water inlet on engine bottom plate (see the yellow arrows). I have started cleaning the parts and will change all the gaskets and water tube grommet. Now I have to find a way to see if any more debris got into the block.

Someone had used regular clear silicone to seal the gaskets. It did not do anything but make a mess for me to clean. Atleast it comes off easily.

20220806_063957 (Large).jpg

Do I need sealer on the bottom plate gaskets?

8. Member
    I decided to do one of my own tests again to see if water came out of the water inlet under the block before I started putting the motor back together. I poured water into the thermostat hole and hardly a trickle was coming out the inlet hole. There still had to be a blockage in the block.

20220806_113436 (Large).jpg

I decided to remove the exhaust manifold cover and inspect behind it for more debris. I was not sure if I would see anything. Joe54, you were spot on. The blockage was almost complete where the water just enters the exhaust manifold cover. Sand and large bits of old impeller arms.

20220806_132745 with arrows (Large).jpg

Not much water was getting through at all.

But now I have some new problems. Three of the bolts broke off in the block leaving about 3/8" sticking out. I have to find a way to get them out. Or, I may be able to weld a stud and extend them, but that would be difficult. Suggestions here would help.

20220806_123807 with arrows (Large).jpg

I also found some very noticeable scoring on the top piston. Probably it got too hot? I think I am going to put the motor back together anyway and hope for the best. Again, suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by 2busy2work; 08-06-2022 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added picture

9. Member
    Good news! I got the broken bolts out of the block. I looked at a lot of videos on different methods. I chose to weld a nut onto them since there was still 3/8" of the bolts sticking out.

20220807_100726 (Large).jpg

Then I used a wrench and Liquid Wrench to ease them out. They would move only slightly at first but I kept carefully working them in a little then out a little and they all came out. The bottom one was the hardest but came out without breaking off. I feel very lucky.

20220807_102007 (Large).jpg

I used a tap to chase the threads.

Then I had to reinstall the nipple that feeds the pee hole hose. It was pretty loose for some reason.

20220807_102230 (Large).jpg

Now I am waiting on gaskets to put it all back together.

Since all the exhaust plate bolts are broken or very crusty, I plan to replace them. I am thinking stainless should work better but am not sure that is better. Any suggestions?

10. Banned
    I wonder if you use stainless if it will cause corrosion due to dis-similar metals?

11. Member
    I dont know if corrosion would be an issue but that may be why they used steel. I wonder what type coating they had on them? I guess I will have to order some to be sure. The few stainless bolts I have removed seemed to come out better is why I asked.

But in the meantime, I think I will go with some mild steel bolts I have on hand and swap them once the new ones come.

12. Member
    dont use any to hard to remove yooll be back in it , that scored piston not gonna live or run long at all, good luck

13. Member
    Joe54, thanks for the advice. I sent those pictures to a friend that did marine mechanics work back in the 80's. He said the same thing you did. I am convinced that piston is toast and the motor will sieze up. So today, I bought a 1984 engine with a good powerhead. The lower unit is pitted from always sitting in freshwater on the back of a pontoon boat so I dont think I will use it. Plus I think is is a long shaft and mine is a short shaft.

Resized_20220808_183313 (Medium).jpeg

I plan to use the 1984 powerhead on my lower end. First I have to be sure it is running good and check the cooling system. It recently had new plugs, carb rebuild and water pump installed. It should be good to go and stop the bleeding trying to fix the 1985. The old 1985 motor can be future parts.

14. Member
    smart man indeed ,that engine looks like a 20in mtr and should fit your TRACKER ,yea its got some corrosion but its not that bad seen lots worse , hook a water hose to it and crank it , good luck

15. Member
    Yesterday I got the powerhead off the donor outboard. I cleaned it up and installed it this morning. I set all the adjustments the best I could like the one that was removed. It ran decent on the muffs so I took it to the lake. It ran great at first and would push the little boat at 22.3 mph. That matched the old one when it was running well. But when I came to idle to return to the launch, it died. Then the starter solenoid started acting up and I adjusted the idle some to get it on the trailer once I got it to run long enough. So, at home I started adjusting again and now it will idle on the muffs again. My timing light has not been used in many years and I guess just sitting is bad for it. It would not work. Now I have to find timing light that works so I can set the timing correctly.

I watched for pee several times while test running it. It seems to be good. It does not pee strongly at idle, but always is peeing.

All said, I think the powerhead is going to work. I am going to dig into the old powerhead in the next few days and will start a post on how that goes.
    Thanks for all the help.

Charlie

16. Member
    sounds good way better than that other one would have