2019 4 stroke pro xs- low water pressure and alarm in grassy lakes

My dad has a 19 4 stroke and we live in Florida. His new motor will not go through the grass like my 2 stroke optimax or our old 150EFI motors.
    Any recommendations. He heard that they upgraded the 2021 models to correct this issue with bigger filter screens inlets. If this is true, can the 19 models be retrofitted with updated parts?

thanks!

2. mikesxpress
    This is what HP engine?

3. Member

They do not do as good as the 2 strokes in grass. When I get in grass, I turn my smart craft to show the water temp. When it rises above 165, i put it in reverse and try to clear it out. If that don't work, I have to tilt the motor up and pick the grass out of the intakes.

5. Member
    I hear tell those have 3 water filters on them 2 of them being easily accessible but the other one is a pain to get to tgat has to be clean regularly
    sounds like a bad design if you ask me

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The two most common strainers are indeed readily accessible (see FAQ Section for information on those).

The remaining strainer is near the bottom of the driveshaft housing and requires removal of the lower cowlings to access.

Solution: Raise engine up, or use trolling motor. Can't run in debris laden water.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor