High gain SI and fish shadows?

The other day I saw someone post some SI with the gain jacked really high. It washed out most of the detail as far as structure, however the "fish shadows" were highly visible then. Anybody ever run like this?

2. Member
    I used to do somethink akin to that searching for deep walleye. Say the walleye were suspended 60-80 ft deep in 100-250 FOW. For that situation, the GT51 on 260 kHz can't be beat. Jack up the brightness and contrast. Set the range to 150 and you can scan 300 ft each pass and the fish show up well. Don't usually see shadows though because the bottom might not be visible. Major shortcoming is that you don't know how deep the fish are you see so it might be a school of bass. The PS30 is a better tool for this since it shows the depth.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I used to do somethink akin to that searching for deep walleye. Say the walleye were suspended 60-80 ft deep in 100-250 FOW. For that situation, the GT51 on 260 kHz can't be beat. Jack up the brightness and contrast. Set the range to 150 and you can scan 300 ft each pass and the fish show up well. Don't usually see shadows though because the bottom might not be visible. Major shortcoming is that you don't know how deep the fish are you see so it might be a school of bass. The PS30 is a better tool for this since it shows the depth.
    Wish there was more info on the ps 30.... really feel like it would be a good tool for finding schools of striper in open water, but it's a lot of money to spend without some solid info.

4. Member
    I’ve caught countless open water stripers thanks to the PS30. The PS30 is hands down the best tool made for open water striper fishing. A total game changer. Worth every penny of the 1499.00 period. The good old PS31 (vs LS) is darn good for keeping them in view if you stop on them because of the wider beam and jumbo sized targets on the screen. LS sucks for stripers imo cause they move around so quickly when they’re feeding and the targets are so small. The new LVS62xr supposedly has larger targets and that could change the game on open water stripers too. Definitely peaked my interest.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

5. Member
    Thanks for the the reply BigBry.... how do you typically fish for stripers? Live bait, trolling, casting?