Looks like the time has come.

Hey, how is everyone??

Going to get estimates on having the transom rebuilt on my 2000 ChampioN 190 SX.

Well going to have it inspected again.

I had it inspected about 5 years ago, and it was fine. I had the steering cables replaced and while the motor was off, they inspected it and resealed it.

Got it off Lake Michigan, after being in some nice size waves, an noticed teeny tiny hairline cracks where the splash-well meets the transom. Right under the ChampioN logo washes.
    When I put the motor down on the transom saver I noticed where the motor mount butts up to the transom it would move a slight bit.

I reached out to Al's Pro Fiberglass in Whitewater, WI to get an estimate/inspection. If anyone in the area has any objections/recommendations please feel free to chime in.

I am sure that it will be worth it. We love the boat, and to buy a new one is out of what kind of money I want to spend. Plus It's nice to keep the older boats on the water.

2. Member
    Have you tried tightening the jackplate bolts? They do need a little tightening now and then.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Yeah that has been checked.

I'm still going to bring it to a shop to have them check it. I get mine out on Lake Michigan, a few times a year, and it can get rough, so I'd feel more comfortable having a glass shop at least take a peek.

4. Member
    Can't hurt, and peace of mind.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Can't hurt, and peace of mind.

True, So I just got a call from the fiberglass shop. Good news. They pulled the motor, end caps, and metal plate and resealed everything. He said that everywhere he poked with an awl was solid.

6. Member
    Glad to hear all is good. Enjoy it!
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Excellent news!!