Rod Building Question

I’m building a spinning rod for my cousin that he plans on using for bass, carp and pike and looking to use the NGC for layout. I’ll be using a RodGeeks C2 7’MH blank.

My initial guide layout is CRB Elite 25, 16, 10, 6 (choke/running). I’m going with CRB to reduce costs and for availability purposes. I’ve used CRB on a few builds and feel they are decent quality.

the kicker is my cousin uses a massive Penn 8000 sized spinning reel with a diameter of approx. 61mm.. based on the 27x choker dimension, this would essentially put the choker guide 1’ from the tip of the rod.

would I be better off just setting this rod up for a smaller reel (say a 4000 size) to account for running guides and multi species stuff? Never had to build a rod that the anticipated choker position is that close to the tip.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    I'd tell him to put a smaller reel on the rod, 3500 size would be sufficient. If he is dead set on using an 8000 sized reel, you are gonna need to go with bigger guides. An 8000 on a 7'-2" MH is gonna be all kinds of goofy.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I'd tell him to put a smaller reel on the rod, 3500 size would be sufficient. If he is dead set on using an 8000 sized reel, you are gonna need to go with bigger guides. An 8000 on a 7'-2" MH is gonna be all kinds of goofy.
    Correct. 8000 is more of a heavy inshore/offshore application, not a 7' MH rod.
    I'd not build it for an 8000 at all, you'd need a huge stripper guide for sure.
    Plus the overall balance & weight would be pretty unfavorable, at least for me.

4. Member
    I too was going to say that a 25 is way too small for that size reel. And my guess is your math is right as far as where the choke should be for that size reel. Go to a 4000 or under and I bet you move the choke at least 12" closer to the reel.