Chains or cables ?

Just bought a new to me Ranger. I have always had chains for the trailer to the truck. This trailer has cables. Deciding if I'm going to replace them. Any positive or negative on cables ?

Using the same cables on my Rangertrail for 16 yrs. No issues, and the rating is about twice the total tow weight,gear and gas included.

3. Member
    I really dislike cables - one pops off (or doesn't get attached properly) and gets dragged, now you have needles. The same happens if they're galvanized, but rust over time (like my dump trailer).

4. Member
    I personally prefer chains over cables. With the protective sheathing over the cable, you can't tell the integrity of the cable underneath. Time, moisture, and rust are not your friends with cable. With uncoated chains, you can quickly inspect and see if any of the links are damaged. YMMV
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

One of the first things I did on my last boat.
    Took off the cables and put on chains.
    I hate em.

6. Member
    I had chains on my first 2 boats. I originally planned to change the cables on my new Ranger, but discovered that I like them. They are curled so that there is no chance of dragging on the ground. They never touch the water and I store my boat in the garage, so there is little chance of rust inside the plastic sheathing. The only downside is that I have to consciously look to make sure that I attach the right side cable to the left side of my hitch and vice versa.

Blondes or Brunettes? It is your choice. Each one has has its positives and negatives. Try one on for size and if you do not like it, switch to the other. The good thing with chains or cables, switching is easier and cheaper than a divorce.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    I hate the cables on my Cat so much. I guess I need to look into chains. I have never changed anything like that before though.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

It is very easy to switch them out. Just make sure everything is properly rated for the GVWR of the trailer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Brunettes.... Chains it is

11. Member
    Nothing wrong with my cables.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Blondes or Brunettes? It is your choice. Each one has has its positives and negatives. Try one on for size and if you do not like it, switch to the other. The good thing with chains or cables, switching is easier and cheaper than a divorce.
    ^^+2
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Nothing wrong with my cables.
    Perhaps. I have found that cables tend to fail internally at the crimp where they are doubled back. You can't see them fail because the coating hides the area. You will find the failure when it instantly goes from a one piece cable to a two piece cable.