Trying to find spindle assembly

This is on an ameratrail trailer. I have called them multiple times and they are saying this is a Rockwell axle that they no longer used. The hub failed and damaged the spindle. The spindle is not replaceable and all they and Rockwell/Dexter is telling me I can do is replace the entire axle. This seems absurd. This was used in saltwater so rust has covered up any part numbers. Rockwell/Dexter can’t even tell me what the part number should be and ameratrail didn’t keep very good records from 2013 apparently because they can’t tell me a part number either. Anyone have any suggestions?

CD508B86-09CE-4658-8B13-38DED3308FA8.jpeg

139A9C9C-749B-4947-BBC8-3F0AEE444F98.jpeg

68CC36E5-CF26-4852-94E1-F3EE3DDDAD48.jpeg

I’d replace the axle.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    I’d replace the axle.
    X2

One and done with new axle/ brake assemblies.

Nine years old and saltwater.

Not worth it in long run.

Good Luck

4. Moderator
    We may have to do that but several places are out of torsion axles and saying 25-30 week lead time.

5. Member
    We may have to do that but several places are out of torsion axles and saying 25-30 week lead time.
    Wow

Would not have thought there was such a long lead time for trailer parts.

I realize most of the trailer stuff is made in China now but it still sounds like an excessive time frame.

Might be time to start searching for used parts just to get up and running for now.

Good Luck

6. Member
    You do not have to get a new axle. Google torsion axle spindle arm. You can simply loosen the bolt, remove the arm, put on the new arm and tighten the bolt. Given all the rust, you will need use some break free. Now, the challenge may be finding one that fits your existing hub. You could also just buy a new torsion axle arm assembly with brake rotor And everything would be new. Since you used it in salt water, I would get one with zinc . You will need to pick one based upon weight/load for the axle

7. Member
    If you get the entire assembly, which I would suggest, make sure the hub bolt pattern is the same as your wheel…..

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    You do not have to get a new axle. Google torsion axle spindle arm. You can simply loosen the bolt, remove the arm, put on the new arm and tighten the bolt. Given all the rust, you will need use some break free. Now, the challenge may be finding one that fits your existing hub. You could also just buy a new torsion axle arm assembly with brake rotor And everything would be new. Since you used it in salt water, I would get one with zinc . You will need to pick one based upon weight/load for the axle
    Sounds great in theory. How do you know the axle spline is the same diameter and the splines are the same??? Ford parts don't fit a GM!

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Sounds great in theory. How do you know the axle spline is the same diameter and the splines are the same??? Ford parts don't fit a GM!
    I did not say google it and pick the first one you see. Yes, he needs to measure and do a little leg work to get the proper part.
    I was just trying to be helpful. I mentioned the bolt pattern in the second response from a separate experience. I helped a buddy with his trailer. When I showed up to install the hub, he had correct assembly and a hub that would fit the assembly, but the wrong bolt pattern.
    People just have a throw away mentality these days. There is a difference in proper maintenance and being wasteful.
    Again, I was just trying to be helpful. You could have just mentioned for him to make sure to look at the diameter without trying to put someone else down. Maybe you just want to be a jack a$$

10. Moderator
    I wish it were that easy. The issue is this is a design that Rockwell copied from someone else. I am being told that Rockwell had to discontinue making these due to legal reasons and dispose of all inventory. I have called Dexter direct and confirmed this after being told this from Ameratrail. Therefor I am struggling to find the entire assembly. It also doesn’t help that the trailer is in FL and I’m in TN. I am going back down in 2 weeks to try to get it apart. We are ordering several different ones we found online with hopes one will fit.

I did not say google it and pick the first one you see. Yes, he needs to measure and do a little leg work to get the proper part.
    I was just trying to be helpful. I mentioned the bolt pattern in the second response from a separate experience. I helped a buddy with his trailer. When I showed up to install the hub, he had correct assembly and a hub that would fit the assembly, but the wrong bolt pattern.
    People just have a throw away mentality these days. There is a difference in proper maintenance and being wasteful.
    Again, I was just trying to be helpful. You could have just mentioned for him to make sure to look at the diameter without trying to put someone else down. Maybe you just want to be a jack a$$
    Just trying to help someone from taking bad advice! There are many specifications when machining a spline besides diameter and number of splines including the pitch. Lot's of technical terms a common jackass would not understand.
    Last edited by electritek; 08-11-2022 at 10:25 PM.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

12. Member
    Is that a 3500 lb axle or is it bigger? 5 lug or six lug wheels?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Is that a 3500 lb axle or is it bigger? 5 lug or six lug wheels?
    It's 3500lb axle and 6 lug.