Thread: Better prop

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

Better prop

Friend has a heavy boat with a 140hp Suzi 4-stroke. Current prop is a 19 aluminum. Gets like 5300rpm with max at 6200. That's what he told me. Any ideas on a better prop? This seems weird. Like an idea on SS...

Also do any other prop splines fit a Suzi? like Merc or Yam...

I'm thinking a SS 14X20???
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

2. Member
    If current prop is 14 x 19 alloy, its extremely unlikely that a 14 x 20 SS is going to get that boat to the target rpm which is at least 6000rpm.

And continuing to run it when the max WOT rpm is 5300 is lugging the engine and doing long term damage. Not to mention that it is compromising speed, hole shot and fuel economy. It needs to be able to hit AT LEAST 6000rpm at WOT.

Suggestion: get the engine height set correctly before messing with props. If the boat is a bassboat I will leave it to you guys re what that looks like.

On a boat with a V hull, and no jack plate, forget the old ruler under the hull/anti vent plate lining up stuff. The right way to check height is to get the boat onto a fast plane and look over to see where the AV plate is, it should be skimming the surface or getting splashed but NOT submerged in the flow. Lift engine height until its right.

If it then loses grip in turns a SS prop will likely fix that issue. But get the height right first, then record the numbers on rpm and speed at 500rpm intervals from idle to WOT. Take those figures to a prop shop and they will be able to advise you on a suitable replacement.