Thread: Vortex Wings!!

Vortex Wings!!

I've done this several times just never thought to take pictures. I mostly do wings as shown but have done thighs and "grill fried" chicken (look it up and thank me later). I recently did two racks of ribs cut into individual bones and they were done between 45 minutes to an hour. Pics of the wings from Saturday night.

Just hitting the grill
    20220730_194049.jpg

Finished product
    20220730_202045.jpg

And about half I tossed around in a sauce I make.
    20220730_202513.jpg

2. Member
    Looks great! I wish I had gotten me a kettle years ago. I really enjoy grilling on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    Looks great! I wish I had gotten me a kettle years ago. I really enjoy grilling on mine.
    Lots of good accessories out there for Kettle's too
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

4. Member
    Throw a tri-tip right over the Vortex after the wings are done. Sear on both sides then move off to the side to finish while you eat the wings.

5. Member
    What is your prep routine before you put the wings on? Seasoning? Marinade? They look delicious!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    Throw a tri-tip right over the Vortex after the wings are done. Sear on both sides then move off to the side to finish while you eat the wings.
    I cook a tri-tip almost once a month as it leads to good leftovers for a couple day's lunch but I use my Slow n Sear to get it to about 110-120 and then sear it up on top of the hot coals. I may have to try the sear first cook after method.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Handwich View Post
    What is your prep routine before you put the wings on? Seasoning? Marinade? They look delicious!
    I bought some Walmart brand Nashville Chicken seasoning last year in the home/garden section where the grilling stuff is and liked it so much that I went back and bought 4 more cans so not sure if they will have it this year, or I will use Kosmos Dirty Bird or their Hot Dirty bird. For sauce a stick of butter 6-8oz of Franks and 1/4-1/2 cup of a vinegar based BBQ sauce, heat up butter until it melts add sauces and let simmer for juts a little bit.

8. Moderator
    Looks awesome.

9. Member
    I bought a Spider grills Venom attachment for my Weber and love it. Can set temps to hold perfectly for hours on end? Also just bought one of the Pizza oven attachments for it and first use made some awesome pizza. Love my Weber Kettle and all the things you can do to make them even better. Might have to add a Vortex because it combined with the Venom could make this a killer smoking set up.
    Last edited by vafishing; 08-12-2022 at 10:21 PM.

10. Member
    I bought the vortex for my Weber kettle. Great purchase. It gets the grill so hot I need a mitt to remove the cover. I have been experimenting with wings and drumsticks. So far just seasoning with salt & pepper have produced great taste and crispness.