Thread: Paint on plugs

Paint on plugs

250 pro xs 2b116638

Bought it used last year engine has 260 hrs and runs fine. Put new plugs in and noticed the old plugs had black over spray on them. Could these be the original plugs from the factory. Also checked the gap and they were set at .032. My fsm says .043. Shouldn’t I have noticed a performance issue. Thx

2. Member
    not really ,wider gap was implemented to help reduce fouling at extended ideling , i have an 05 xs with the 6400 limiter in it and have ran it both ways on a digital cds diagnostic and made no change in rpm on top end what so ever , from 6200-6300
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And very likely those plugs were in the cylinder heads when they were painted (either at the factory, or when replaced).

How many hours on that engine now?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Changed them at 260 hrs

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Lucky. Seen many of them lose portions of the porcelain by the mid 100's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor