2000 Triton Tr186 and Johnson 150 with dual rack and pinion steering

Hello all,

My steering on my boat is stiff. Cable was replaced 10 years ago and its sat under a cover 90% of that time. I was told by someone here that I could pump up a pressure sprayer, with atf in it, and let it stay on my cables over night and that woiuld loosen up the dry greease in the cable. So I am gonna give this a shot. Thoughts on this? Tips/advice on this?

Also I am trying to find a video on youtube to show me proper disassembly of these cables from my motor but i am finding mostly single cable systems. Does anyone have some videos they could recommend me that would help me with this whole project? I definitely cannot afford to spend several hundred+ dollars to have a professional do this for me at this time and i desperately wanna get back on the water.

Thank you in advance, Jared

2. Member
    Is my post on the wrong board? I am surprised not one reply in 3 days. I can move it if I posted it in wrong area. Wasnt sure where to post at

3. Member
    Here is a video that may give some ideas. There are some others if you just search “Grease outboard steering cables”. You definitely need to force lubricant through the cables. I have found transmission fluid to be very good at flushing out grease.

Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I’m a little late to the party here but; I had a ‘98 TR-18 and the best thing I ever did to that boat was to install hydraulic steering. It was night and day difference from the no feed back system that was on it and it made it way easier to drive the chine walk.