Z Man 7" Finess worms

Bought a pack of these on a whim to use, Carolina rig. I just wanted to tell yall Im amazed at the durability of these things.
    I caught 12-15 spots and had I not hung on a rock and lost the rig who knows how many more I could have caught.
    I got them for the floating properties, and they do float great, but that material is the best ever for soft baits.
    This will be my go-to worm from now on.

2. Member
    Just make sure to keep them in the pack. They also deform if they are packed right together.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Just make sure to keep them in the pack. They also deform if they are packed right together.
    Didnt know that. they are in a standard type zip lock closer. are you saying dont let them bunch up ?

4. Member
    They don't play well with other soft plastics so you want to keep them in the bag they came in. If you let them sit with another soft plastic for too long they will melt together. Some of their soft plastics come in a molded plastic carrier inside the bag, those you'll want to keep in the molded plastic as much as you can so they don't deform.

I like Z-Man plastics, probably 90% of the soft plastics we use are from Z-Man.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

I'm a big fan of Z-Man plastics myself. The durability is awesome, and the fact that they float even heavier wire hooks is a big benefit. I think the storage thing is overblown as long as you keep them separate from normal plastics. I have seen folks share instances of the material reacting with the plastic in certain storage boxes too. Original packaging is the safest and most foolproof, with the added benefit that they tend to hold their shape better than way too. I don't personally feel like they're any worse for deforming than normal plastics when stored crooked.

One additional word of caution that cost me some pretty big tournament money to learn: Don't try to fish any of the thicker baits on an EWG. They tend to ball up on the hookset, much like most of us have had happen when fishing a tube. My experience was with the Palmetto Bugz, but I'm sure it applies to any of them with any meat to them. The material is so stretchy and "grippy," and with the way the point on an EWG is aimed at the hook eye, you don't get the plastic tearing out of the way to allow the point to drive into the fish. Instead it just kind of drives back into the plastic. Use a straight shank on those baits and you're good to go. I'm sure the new Owner Haymaker would work too as they've adjusted the hook point angle dramatically over a standard EWG.

The thinner baits like finesse worms and their version of the Brush Hog seem to do fine on an EWG, though I generally just go with a straight shank on all of them to be safe.

It seems people usually have really strong opinions about Z-man plastics, they either love them or hate them. It feels a little bit like opinions on fluorocarbon. Lots of benefits, but there are nuances that have to be considered else you can have a really bad time.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Didnt know that. they are in a standard type zip lock closer. are you saying dont let them bunch up ?
    Yep just keep in the original packaging if possible. If the packs are bunched together tightly the baits can deform shape too

7. Member
    I fished the same green pumpkin big TRD on a ned head for 2 tournaments (6 fishing days) before a pike took it towards the end of the last day and I caught a ton of fish on it. The Fatty Z is a great Neko bait too. I don't care for the way the elaztech Texas rigs though.

8. Banned
    I like their durability, but like others have mentioned, they don't play well with other plastics, at least the ones I've mixed them with. I was a quick learner on that.

9. Member
    I like the TRD so I tried the worm. It's so soft that it was hard to keep the hook point skin hooked on on a shakyhead. Does the zman stuff really float a hook off the bottom or is that hype? I could see a hula stick on a carolina rig or shakey head if it stands up.

10. Member
    They will definitely float up. Elaztech is very buoyant
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by JK9027 View Post
    I like the TRD so I tried the worm. It's so soft that it was hard to keep the hook point skin hooked on on a shakyhead. Does the zman stuff really float a hook off the bottom or is that hype? I could see a hula stick on a carolina rig or shakey head if it stands up.
    Depends what bait you’re using and whether it has salt in it, but generally yes. Most of their baits are salted, so if you want it to float you can stretch it a few times to work the salt out. The Goat and Palmetto BugZ will float a 5/0 flipping hook without any trouble, just as an example.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    I can tell yall . If I don't get a hook set quick, they'll be swallowed. Using the Carolina rig these fish are just inhaling this worm. Used it texas rig also and same thing. this is becoming my favorite worm. Im using #2 worm hooks and they float them no problem. Im sure itll float a larger hook also.

13. Member
    I like zman plastics & will definitely be picking up some of these.

14. Member
    Was flipping some pad with a jig and wasn't getting even a sniff. Tied on a 3/0 EWG Tokyo rig 1/2oz with the 7" finesse worm and absolutely wrecked them that day.

15. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I use these on a Texas rig… drag them slow threw weeds and grass…. HOLD ON TO YOUR ROD!!!!!
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

16. Member
    I'm going to put some elaztech on swing head jigs. If it floats the hook it should make some crazy action.

17. Member
    Strike King Finesse worms are Elaztec also and have same properties