Thread: Prop to pad ?

Prop to pad ?

Measured my pad height after having my Bobs installed. All the way down, I’m even prop to pad…should it be that high? Coming from other boats like my champion where I’ve been running about 3 inches low, just wasn’t sure. I know the Allison’s run higher. It’s an ‘22 XB21 bassport. Running a 28 Bravo. Just curious to hear what the norm is for just cruising, not all out running. Thanks

2. Member
    What motor?
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

250R

That doesnt sound right, unless you have a manually adjustable bracket attached to the hydraulic plate. That would be the ability to roughly raise your engine 5" or so above the pad? Post up a pic of the rear of your rig where we can see what you have.

I've had my last two CMC H-plates set so the highest they could go was 2" above.

A number of factors impact this. The bobs plate has to be modified to bolt right to the transom of an Allison XB21. If you have spacers, they may have rise built into them. The motor can also be mounted in several holes when attached to the plate. It could be shifted all the way up in its mounting pattern.

Most 21's will not need more than 2" above the pad, it sounds like you have way more than that. No real issue with that other than you are even with the pad all the way down. It is nice to be able to go below the pad in very rough water. It will help the rough water handling. I personally was in that kind of water one time when I owned my boat. Tim Powell showed me how well the boat ate up rough water with the motor that low. I was always a set it and forget it guy. Even when I had a hydraulic plate I never moved my motor. I was set at 1.75" over and that is how it stayed. Never saw a reason to move it.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Maybe a little bit of explaining engine heights on our boats should be addressed here. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think model year 2017 to current the lip has been modified in the mold to run a higher engine height in addition to a new setback of 9.5" (4" spacers plus 5.5" CM) Pre 2017 setback from factory was 2.5" spacers plus the 5.5" CMC plus the .5" wedge for a total of 8.5" setback for a "safe" engine height of approx 5/8" above pad.

The addition of the new 4 stroke Mercs and the modified lip has allowed owners such as RR to run 1.75" above the pad.

Example, Mine is a 2013 with the new lip that was done at the factory the year the new lip was coming out of the mold. At that time I was still running 8.5" setback and realized I could raise my engine higher than before. I soon replaced the stock set back that I mentioned above with a 10" hydraulic plate which allowed me to take full advantage of the modified lip. I can run 1" above the pad and still maintain 20PSI with my 300XS

AS RR also explained, having the ability to drop the motor below pad will give better handling in rough water. I'm able to drop mine below pad with my setup.

YOu may want to move the engine down on the JP to get below even with the pad.

If I stated anything incorrectly here please someone correct me.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    When i picked up my brand new 08 BasSport Pro from C&O, i took it to the factory and visited with Darris and Todd. The first thing Todd did was to make sure the Merc was rigged correctly (2nd hole/Cmc plate/-2 degree wedges). He was satisfied...as was I for many years to come.

9. Member
    Please post pictures
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

10. Member
    You want pics from whom??
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    You want pics from whom??
    Pictures of jack-plate setup from dwoodfin.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

12. Member
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Sorry for the delay…new job has me swamped!
    I’m 12 inches to the slide plate from transom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dwoodfin; 08-10-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Another