Thread: 521c prop help

521c prop help

Question for you gentlemen. I have a 2015 521c that I recently put a 2015 pro xs on. Currently running a 24p tempest the hole shot is not good at all when loaded down and two people, topping at at around 62 mph and only hitting 5300 rpm. Tried taking the plugs out of the vent holes and could not get the boat on pad with another person along. What prop do you think would work the best for better hole shot and maximizing top end

2. Member
    Need more information to answer that question.

Do you have a jack plate? Auto or manual?

What is your current Prop to pad setting?
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Need more information to answer that question.

Do you have a jack plate? Auto or manual?

What is your current Prop to pad setting?

thanks for the response I do have a hydraulic jack plate. I have tried it out with my jack plate as low as it would go to as high as it will go. Not sure of the exact prop to pad distance but it does the best for getting on pad with the jack plate raised about 2/3rds of the way up. But get the best top end with the jack plate almost all the way down and the motor trimmed high.

4. Member
    When I say trimmed high I mean higher than I ever have had too on any previous boat I have owned, or this boat with the last prop/motor combo. (Shooting a rooster tail about 20ft in the air)

5. Member
    Do a search for P2P (prop to pad) measurements. You NEED to know this or you are chasing your tail. My 521c with 250 SHO wants to be at 2.75-3.0” for all around performance, 6000 rpm at 70-71 mph. Once you get your P2P numbers you mark the JP accordingly so that your are not guessing. 1/4”-1/2” up and down can make a huge difference. Start at 3.0” inches and work from there. Then you can talk to Croxton or others about getting your prop worked. You are obviously way down on rpm, hole shot, acceleration, and top speed.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

6. Member
    JT

thanks for the input. I am pretty confident I have found the best adjustments for the current prop/motor. I feel that the prop is not the best prop for my set up so I was hoping to get someone with the same boat/motor to share what prop they are running and their numbers. I guess I didn’t really ask the right way in my original question.

7. Member
    23-24 fury4, 24-25 tempest, 25 bravo xs. You’ll be lucky to hit 71 like jt outside of very lightly loaded cool weather runs but at only 5300 and 62 with a tempest 24 you’ve got some significant setup issues, a bad prop, or a motor issue.

8. Member
    What hole is the motor attached to the jack plate. Ranger says top hole but check for clearance on full tilt.
    My 521C with a SHO was mounted in the third hole down. Handling was crazy bad but since moving to the top hole the boat handled like it should.
    I am running a Yamaha T1-25P and could not ask for a more perfect set-up. I assume the jackplate is an ATLAS ??
    Last edited by WISHBONE999; 08-17-2022 at 08:53 AM. Reason: add

9. Member
    I had some of the same issues with my 14' 521c/250 pro xs.... per the recommendations here and from Phil's props in Lake Shasta,Ca I went with the 25p BravoI xs.... it became a whole NEW boat... felt like it lifted the stern about a foot out of the water, had great bow lift, and great handling.... no downsides for me... I would get 66-68 consistently and in rare occasions 70-71 if the stars aligned.