Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carbon/Live Position Console vs Bow

So, this is likely a personal preference type of deal, and maybe one of those I am overthinking it deals - but I just can't decide whether to Put my Live on the Bow with Carbon up front, or vice versa with Carbon on Bow/Live on Console I don't know that there is a wrong answer, to be honest.

I have Active Target and 3DSS modules, and an currently running two units on bow and console. Initially put Live on console paired with a Gen 3 - typical dual setup, Gen 3 handles map and 2D slice only (2D coming over network from other console device), Live handles SS/DS/3D stuff. Carbon 12 on bow for AT, Carbon 9 on bow for map.

This is where my OCD kicks in, with the Live/Gen3 comb, the screens are not "level", the cases of course are different, and different width as well so the pair wind up off center also. By swapping the Live and Carbon 12 from the bow, I get nice symmetry, identical unit cases (Gen3/Carbon), level screens/display, units center well since same width, etc.

Since the displays are very similar, and since AT processing is done on the module vs the unit (and I assume the same for the 3D module), what do I gain or lose using one verses the other on the bow or console, if anything?

Additional info, the Carbon 9 will eventually be replaced with a 12", although I have not decided with what - Either another Carbon 12 if I can find one, or a Live possibly when prices come down after the next iteration is release, or possibly a Helix/360 setup.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 07-31-2022 at 07:47 AM.

Since no takers, I did some more searching back on comparisons - obviously TeamColibri's stands out but was written before AT, before LiveSight even I think...

Anyway, I did see some references to SS3D getting worse after certain software version updates - 18.2 or .3 I think it was? It was referencing a Carbon, but not sure if same applies to the Live also? Or if now a non-issue as we are well past 18.x and up to 22.1...18?

Right now I have Live at Console, and am leaning towards leaving it there and leaving Carbon at bow with AT - but have not made a final decision. Just don't know if one or the other is better suited for AT or StructureScan3D setup.

3. Member
    Simple rule Put your best units where you Fish. In your Case it would be The Lives all at the Bow. Its no more complicated then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    Simple rule Put your best units where you Fish. In your Case it would be The Lives all at the Bow. Its no more complicated then that.
    yeah, thanks - in my head I think I knew that :). Just wasn't sure if there was overriding reason to go the other way. Bonus my OCD is saved as I get the symmetry back at the console :).

5. Member
    Thats what I did, 2 live units on the bow and a carbon and a live on the console. Having the latest technology where I fish is the best alternative to having all matching units.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Since no takers, I did some more searching back on comparisons - obviously TeamColibri's stands out but was written before AT, before LiveSight even I think...

Anyway, I did see some references to SS3D getting worse after certain software version updates - 18.2 or .3 I think it was? It was referencing a Carbon, but not sure if same applies to the Live also? Or if now a non-issue as we are well past 18.x and up to 22.1...18?

Right now I have Live at Console, and am leaning towards leaving it there and leaving Carbon at bow with AT - but have not made a final decision. Just don't know if one or the other is better suited for AT or StructureScan3D setup.
    Exactly
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

7. Member
    Lives at the bow Carbon's at the console. Thats how my graphs are set up.

So I got everything set now - going to quit messing around with it lol...

Live 12/Carbon 9 at bow - 12 for AT/3n1, 9 for Map/2D slice
    Carbon 12 / Gen3 12 at console - Carbon for SS3D primarily, Gen3 for Mapping/2D slice.

Just need to upgrade that 9" to 12" now... Still kicking myself for not grabbing one of those $1400 BPS Carbon 12's

9. Member
    I like my lives at the console. The quick keys are the only way to go. I don't like leaving my 2 12 in units on at the console while I am up front fishing. I don't need transducers pinging and screens on draining battery power. Got 2 keys programed, one for sonar on-off the other for sleep-standby. Easy two touch and they are off and back on.

10. Member
    That's a very nice set up 78! I've got 3 9's.....2 at the bow and 1 at the console teamed with 1 of my old gen2 HDS 10's. The 9 at the bow is networked to the 2 9's at the bow. One of the bow 9's is just for AT with the other for 3D/TM 3n1, charts, etc. As a result the 1 9 at the console can "see" 3D SI/DI direct from the transducer, send this images up front, while also seeing the TM 3n1 or AT from the bow.

Like you, I'm still kickin' my own arse for not buying 1 Carbon 12 during the BPS Carbon dump.....hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    I like my lives at the console. The quick keys are the only way to go. I don't like leaving my 2 12 in units on at the console while I am up front fishing. I don't need transducers pinging and screens on draining battery power. Got 2 keys programed, one for sonar on-off the other for sleep-standby. Easy two touch and they are off and back on.
    The quick keys are nice - I was very disappointed they don't have an option for stop Active Target yet. But similar to you, i have keys for stopping structure scan and sonar on the 3n1 when it starts interfering with AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    That's a very nice set up 78! I've got 3 9's.....2 at the bow and 1 at the console teamed with 1 of my old gen2 HDS 10's. The 9 at the bow is networked to the 2 9's at the bow. One of the bow 9's is just for AT with the other for 3D/TM 3n1, charts, etc. As a result the 1 9 at the console can "see" 3D SI/DI direct from the transducer, send this images up front, while also seeing the TM 3n1 or AT from the bow.

Like you, I'm still kickin' my own arse for not buying 1 Carbon 12 during the BPS Carbon dump.....hehehe
    Thanks, yeah picked up the Gen3 just to run map and a slice of 2D at the console, quite a bit cheaper than a Carbon or especially a Live. Don't even have any transducers connected, it's getting 2D from the Carbon thru-hull on CH1.

I was waffling between running two 12's or a single 16 and once I decided to stay with dual 12's, all the BPS ones were gone :(. NoCal mentioned Lowrance is due to release the Live replacement soon, so maybe Live prices will drop some soon.

13. Member
    There is/was a Carbon 12 for sale on here or TFF just a couple of days ago....$1400 if memory serves.

That's my lil set up.....i built that dual mount (obviously) for my HDS 10" and Carbon 9....its a rig, but, I saved a LOT of $ and it works 100%.... It is rock solid. As a result I was able to get the 9 up so high (16" - 18") that I can clearly see the AT on the 9 very clearly.

0806221456~3.jpg

14. Member
    There is/was a Carbon 12 for sale on here or TFF just a couple of days ago....$1400 if memory serves.

That's my lil set up.....i built that dual mount (obviously) for my HDS 10" and Carbon 9....its a rig, but, I saved a LOT of $ and it works 100%.... It is rock solid. As a result I was able to get the 9 up so high (16" - 18") that I can clearly see the AT on the 9 very clearly.

0806221456~3.jpg
    Slicefixer,
    I have 3 9 Hds live's on my boat. On the Bow I have a Ghost and an Active Target & one HDS Live 9. I want a bigger screen up front. Should I sell my 9 and get a HDS Live 12 or get a Carbon12 up front? Don't know what I'll be missing with a Carbon up front. I have only had Live's. Is there a way to swap my Live 9 with a Live 12?
    Thanks,
    Mike Katy TX

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas TR21 View Post
    Slicefixer,
    I have 3 9 Hds live's on my boat. On the Bow I have a Ghost and an Active Target & one HDS Live 9. I want a bigger screen up front. Should I sell my 9 and get a HDS Live 12 or get a Carbon12 up front? Don't know what I'll be missing with a Carbon up front. I have only had Live's. Is there a way to swap my Live 9 with a Live 12?
    Thanks,
    Mike Katy TX
    Well, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, I listen to NoCal and Team Colibri and trust their judgement.

However, from my research the Carbon is very close to the Live and in some people's views it's superior.....especially considering the price differential. The only significant difference being the actual case/screen covering.....one being a traditional Lowrance type case, the Carbon, and the other with more of a hummingbird type casing.....screen covering integrated into the case....."flat."

From my research the difference in screen resolution and software weren't nearly enough to justify the price differential. IMOP Lowrance dumped the carbons to BPS, etc in order to eliminate competition between their own graph lines..... that's how operationally insignificant the differences are between the 2 series.....but one's significantly cheaper.

BUT, again, Colibri and NoCal are the experts so I'd consult them.

Again IMOP, as good as the screen resolution and software speed have become, when are any differences even detectable by the human eye???

However, with all of that said, if I were you I'd buy the Carbon 12 and never look back.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 08-09-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Well, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, I listen to NoCal and Team Colibri and trust their judgement.

However, from my research the Carbon is very close to the Live and in some people's views it's superior.....especially considering the price differential. The only significant difference being the actual case/screen covering.....one being a traditional Lowrance type case, the Carbon, and the other with more of a hummingbird type casing.....screen covering integrated into the case....."flat."

From my research the difference in screen resolution and software weren't nearly enough to justify the price differential. IMOP Lowrance dumped the carbons to BPS, etc in order to eliminate competition between their own graph lines..... that's how operationally insignificant the differences are between the 2 series.....but one's significantly cheaper.

BUT, again, Colibri and NoCal are the experts so I'd consult them.

Again IMOP, as good as the screen resolution and software speed have become, when are any differences even detectable by the human eye???

However, with all of that said, if I were you I'd buy the Carbon 12 and never look back.
    Good info... TeamColibri has a detailed comparison on the web - Carbon and Live screens are essentially identical, difference is Case structure as Slicefixer mentioned, as well as processing power, Quick Access buttons, GPS position, and minor connector differences (Live drops the 7-pin and has two 9-pin transducer connectors.)

https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/201...n-and-hds.html

I have a Live 12... it's nice, but imo not worth twice the price of a Carbon. I also have two Carbons (12, 9) and a Gen3 12. I want/need to upgrade one last 9" (the carbon) to a 12" - holding out to see if prices drop on Lives anytime soon, but would also grab a Carbon 12 in a heartbeat if I ran across a deal on one.

Maybe I should go ahead and sell the Carbon 9 which would force me to be proactive in finding that replacement 12" lol...

17. Member
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I also looked at the team Colibri and their comparisons and I may reach out to them. I think you are correct; the 12 Carbon vs the 9 Live on the bow might give me more real estate without the loss of detail. I could sell my 9 and get a 12! Dang, I should have bought one when they were very cheap! The 4 quick buttons would be nice, but I crappie fish most of the time, so I have a Stowaway bracket that gets the unit close enough to me where I can easily navigate the menu's without a problem. The only concern is that Lowrance may not let me update the Carbons in the future.

18. Member
    Thanks also your input! Maybe they will discount the Live's one day???!! I bought most all of my units through BOE electronics and saved a lot of money.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas TR21 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I also looked at the team Colibri and their comparisons and I may reach out to them. I think you are correct; the 12 Carbon vs the 9 Live on the bow might give me more real estate without the loss of detail. I could sell my 9 and get a 12! Dang, I should have bought one when they were very cheap! The 4 quick buttons would be nice, but I crappie fish most of the time, so I have a Stowaway bracket that gets the unit close enough to me where I can easily navigate the menu's without a problem. The only concern is that Lowrance may not let me update the Carbons in the future.
    Marc Marcantonio is also very knowledgeable. I'm sure he'd help you. i forgot about him in my original post.....(sorry Marc!)

I fiddled with a live 12 at BPS when I bought a couple of my carbons during the BPS Carbon dump. I just didn't think the differences were REMOTELY enough to justify the additional cost....at least for me. As I said earlier, I'm still kicking my own arse for not buying a Carbon 12 for $1450....sell the 3n1 and the cost would have been 1250/1300....a steal.

However, the 9's have worked out very, very well for me. The way I have the AT mounted carbon at the bow has proven to be easy to see, etc. So I'm operating A-ok without a 12.

20. Member
    I often don't chime in on questions of personal opinion unless I know the person and understand their fishing strengths and weaknesses. If I had to decide between a Carbon and a LIVE, the differences of importance to me center on their features. But what is important to me is likely not important to most anglers.

For instance, I regularly use an underwater camera system so access to the HDMI port is very important to me. I ended up putting a LIVE16 on the bow and LIVE12 at the console for easy access of camera use at both locations.

I also often use the USB port on the back of my Console unit to keep my phone charged while taking photos with my phone mounted on a RAM suction cup mount on my windshield.

Depending on the year of your unit, you may or may not have Contour Plus mapping in it; I would want this mapping on my console unit for sure for searching, but I also need it at the trolling motor. The reason it is so valuable over older Carbon mapping is because of the ability to color code my contours. It is so important to me I need it at both the bow and console. If you only have one unit with this capability then only you can decide where you need it more (bow or console) based upon the water you fish and your fishing style.

Another important point mentioned above is the Hot Keys on the LIVES. These are a big deal to me, but probably for different reasons than most people consider. I take screenshots of my images constantly...and a hot key makes it easy and quick. I also log my sonar all the time; again a hot key function on my console LIVE. And I use a console hot key to return my LIVE to my preferred screen display for high speed running between waypoints during a tournament. At the bow I need these keys for some of the same and different functions.

Sometimes we don't know what is important or not until we try something new and find ways to utilize technology to improve our fishing experience. I am the type always trying to learn, even at age 69 as of yesterday. I have been bass fishing a long time (I am a charter member of BASS since 1969, and life member. I have experienced first hand the value of technology so I embrace it and learn from it. I realize many are happy to leave things the way they always were, so your mileage may differ.
    ciao,
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast