Thread: Boat prices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Agree new prices will drive used prices. Don't see them coming back down.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Interesting topic for sure as these are way different times we are in...hard to say anyone really knows what is going to happen over the next few years.

I have a 12 year old boat and started looking at new and used boats back in May. Prices were crazy back then and new inventory was selling as soon as it hit the lot, sometimes with pre-orders before the dealer even got the boat in! Used was mostly the same, with anything decent selling right away at very high prices. Since about mid June, things have slowed and there is a lot more used inventory on the market with prices slowly dropping. Starting to see some better deals now and even a few new models are available at standard pricing. But that standard pricing is still 15-20% higher than it was 3 years ago...I agree that will most likely stay that way. It's not just boats that are more expensive, it's everything! So most likely is that will take some time for income to catch up with costs.

So I'm not sure what I'll do - keep looking for that great deal while fishing out my old boat or just bite the bullet and buy something before trying to sell my boat? It's tough because I'd really like to get into something newer, that fit's my style of fishing better. Mostly have been looking at Triton 18 and 19 TRX along with Nitro Z19. Love to stay in a Bass Cat, but they just don't make a model that fits my fishing style/budget...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Im 60 and so far in my life I can't remember much of any big ticket items ever going down. I feel like my Dad, everything is too doggone high.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Loco View Post
    Used boats were over inflated to start with, new boats will not come down.
    Used boats are over inflated because new boats are over inflated!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGifto View Post
    Used boat prices are driven by new boat prices I think. You don’t wanna pay $25 to $50k for this fully loaded old boat? No problem go buy one for $85 to $100+. How can anyone say used prices will go down while new will continue to rise?
    I agree

6. Member
    Why buy new when you can take your boat (provided its built in this century and in decent shape) and restore it for most likely a fraction of the cost. Have a nice rig thats just as good as any new boat. If you can do most of the work and willing to do it, its a 1/3 of the cost of a new boat. And that includes repowering.

7. Member
    I don’t see them coming down anytime soon either. I work in the auto industry and most people I’ve talked to said cars aren’t coming down any time soon. I just bought a used boat and I knew I was going to “over pay” for it compared to maybe a year or 2 ago. I figured though that prices aren’t going to be changing and likely we are seeing the new normal. I still feel I got what I wanted and for what was a price I was willing to pay for it. So therefor it was a fair price and fair deal. At least all our cars and boats are worth more now right

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    Why buy new when you can take your boat (provided its built in this century and in decent shape) and restore it for most likely a fraction of the cost. Have a nice rig thats just as good as any new boat. If you can do most of the work and willing to do it, its a 1/3 of the cost of a new boat. And that includes repowering.
    With the way new boat prices are climbing I'm thinking this is an excellent idea as long as the hull is still in good shape. I do see plenty of older rigs with a newer motor. Also saw one last year that looked rougher than a night in jail (rattle can paint job and all) with a new v8 Merc 250. But to be fair when in the boat the interior is what matters most as long as the rig is reliable.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    New boat prices are not going down. Might stay the same or only go up a little year or year but not going down.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

10. Member
    I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday, he has had his boat for sale for a couple of months, not too many calls on it, he said there are a ton more boats on the market now than what there were 2-3 months ago.

We should open a company for boat building kits, like they do for experimental airplanes. Have a build center where you can come put in the labor on your boat with expert's onsite.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    I sold my Falcon a few weeks ago. Guy sent cash without looking at it and flew down a few days later to pick it up. Low hour used boats with warranty are not going down in price. The job market is still hot and new boats are selling as quick as they can put motors on them. I do not believe we are going to see a "great recession" like we did in the late 2000's. Until the supply chain and chip issues get sorted out nothing is coming down in price.

Some guys are siting on new Rangers and other high end boats with 2 strokes but have them priced like a new one. Those boats are going down in value everyday.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    I sold my Falcon a few weeks ago. Guy sent cash without looking at it and flew down a few days later to pick it up. Low hour used boats with warranty are not going down in price. The job market is still hot and new boats are selling as quick as they can put motors on them. I do not believe we are going to see a "great recession" like we did in the late 2000's. Until the supply chain and chip issues get sorted out nothing is coming down in price.

Some guys are siting on new Rangers and other high end boats with 2 strokes but have them priced like a new one. Those boats are going down in value everyday.
    Agreed, see a ton of rangers / basscats listed for insanely high prices with a 2 stroke. I know they are good boats and solid motors, but its hard to consumer to pay those prices when they can literally get into a brand new nitro / skeeter / triton with a new 4 stroke for less money.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Member
    If you don't think used prices have already started to fall, then you just need to do a little more looking. Used inventory is up and sellers are having to drop prices to move them. It's a much different economic picture than it was 12 months ago. It's simple supply and demand; supply is up and demand is down.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    If you don't think used prices have already started to fall, then you just need to do a little more looking. Used inventory is up and sellers are having to drop prices to move them. It's a much different economic picture than it was 12 months ago. It's simple supply and demand; supply is up and demand is down.
    Exactly what I been seeing around here, same with new vehicles, a few months ago I could not get any tractors, now they have 5 of them for me, same with crew trucks, could not get any, now they all of the sudden have 3 for me.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    You aren’t wrong at all. Part of the reason though prices will stick high though is like with cars, the prices are so inflated that the dealers had to overpay for the trade ins and used boats. Some private sellers may lower their prices to sell the boat but many dealers won’t, they will sit on them.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    We should open a company for boat building kits, like they do for experimental airplanes. Have a build center where you can come put in the labor on your boat with expert's onsite.
    I think restoring boats is going to become a big industry. Im seeing a lot of old campers restored around me and most of what Im seeing look awesome. But back to boats, bass boats havnt had any significant changes in the past 20 yrs with the exception of a few mfg's. Some old weathered boats can be brought back to almost showroom condition with a little hard work and short money. Wet sanding, polishing, new carpets, wrapping or replacing interior parts, new seats.....$3k maybe. New TM and electronics...$3-10k? Tires and wheels....$1k. Repower....$20-28k?? or a trip to a qualified mechanic.....$1-3k. All of this dont add up to the cost of a new boat and its yours, the exact way you want it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I'll tell you what I have never understood. You can buy a new Chevy Camaro for 40 and a new bass boat is 80 I just don't get it.
    One is definitely a luxury item and the other may or may not depending on how you view it would be my guess.

19. Member
    I manage a large dealer here. Our flat out cost on boats has went up 8-12% each year the past 3 years. Before that it was usually only 3-5% increases. We are told its due to material shortages still which some of that is true, especially resin for fiberglass. The plant that makes most resin is in Texas. When the deep freeze killed power there last year the plant went down. That resin is all plumbed through the factory....well with no power guess what happened to that plant. It dried in the plumbing and most of that factory had to be rebuilt to repair it. Manufactures who couldn't build during covid and lost tons of money just keep raising prices to try and offset the profits lost during that.

Our pontoon manufactures couldn't get alumn for the the logs for a long time and that was the hold up. Then engines, especially Suzuki and yamaha from over seas. Mercury has been better but ran into harness manufacturing issues that delayed a lot of engines this year and part of last year. Not to mention no one can get enough people to work to keep things moving along. This seems to be an issue everywhere still.

Just some insight from what we have been dealing with daily for the past 3 years.
    Eric Anderson
    Nashville Boating Center

20. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I'll tell you what I have never understood. You can buy a new Chevy Camaro for 40 and a new bass boat is 80 I just don't get it.
    Simply volume.....Chevrolet sold 21,893Camaro in 2021.In 2020, Chevrolet sold 29,775Camaro.They sold 7,882more units in year 2020 compared to 2021 with a percent loss of26.47% YoY.

Imagine if ONE bass boat company could sell that many of the same model boats in a calendar year, year after year and that doesn't count the hundreds of parts they share with the other GM models. It's all about volume.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast