Thread: Smoke Tubes

Smoke Tubes

Got one off Amazon because my newer MES40 has basically a worthless smoke tray.

This thing works! It’s a 12” and with a test it went almost 6 hours putting out lots of smoke. Going to put it over foil next time because it turns those pellets into fine ash.

Question for the pellet grillers…..There is a tar like residue that was left on it and the grill I used. I burned Kingsford pellets, maybe 1cup or so tops. Is that normal? I’ve always used wood or lump charcoal and never had that happen.

I didn’t cook, just wanted to see how long it put out smoke. Will go with half that for food.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Got one off Amazon because my newer MES40 has basically a worthless smoke tray.

This thing works! It’s a 12” and with a test it went almost 6 hours putting out lots of smoke. Going to put it over foil next time because it turns those pellets into fine ash.

Question for the pellet grillers…..There is a tar like residue that was left on it and the grill I used. I burned Kingsford pellets, maybe 1cup or so tops. Is that normal? I’ve always used wood or lump charcoal and never had that happen.
    I didn’t cook, just wanted to see how long it put out smoke. Will go with half that for food.
    Can't comment on the pellets, but I will never use Kingsford again. Was all I used for years. They guy that builds my smoker told me to look in the chute, then burn one bag of B&B and look back in the chute. Before B&B the chute was covered in the stuff you are talking about. After the one bag of B&B it was a clean as the day I got it
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Can't comment on the pellets, but I will never use Kingsford again. Was all I used for years. They guy that builds my smoker told me to look in the chute, then burn one bag of B&B and look back in the chute. Before B&B the chute was covered in the stuff you are talking about. After the one bag of B&B it was a clean as the day I got it
    Great info!

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

4. Member
    Sound like that is creosote. That will make the meat taste bitter.

I have an MES30 and use an a-maze-n pellet smoker tray with a mailbox mod. I will only use their pellets as they are 100% the wood they say they are. Alot of pellets have fillers. If interested give them a call. They were recently bought by pitboss and the website redirects to pitboss. They still run pellet sales though and are a pleasure to do business with.

A-maze-n products 651-352-2831
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. Member
    Love my Pit Boss pellet smoker/grill !!!!! Just now knocked off spare ribs,baked tater and apples !!!!

I have had my RecTec Bullseye 380 for two years and primarily use it for grilling. I use Pitboss competition blend most of the time because it's readily available and works well.

In July a local store had Kingsford pellets on sale so I bought some hickory and cherry. I immediately noticed that it smoked a lot more on start up, which I thought was good because you don't get a lot of smoke flavor when grilling, but later I noticed it also puts off a black smoke as it cooks too. It's a very black smoke like a kiki torch or plastic burning.

I noticed the inside of the grill was covered in a thick film of soot in no time and the soot was also covering the food too...chicken came out looking nasty and grey, Hot dogs you could wipe off with a paper towel and it was gross how much residue was on them. I cook a lot of veggies in foil packs and the foil would be solid black...that can't be good and it never happened with other brand pellets.

I thought it might be because I was using it for grilling so I set it at 225 and it's still easy to see the weird black smoke and soot covered some foil really quick.

There is something messed up with Kingsford pellets, no other brand has ever done this before.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green