Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Back when I figured out mine was bent, the first thing I noticed was it was wearing a groove in the port side lower cowling right where the arm turns ~ 90 degrees.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Back when I figured out mine was bent, the first thing I noticed was it was wearing a groove in the port side lower cowling right where the arm turns ~ 90 degrees.
    I observed no signs of wear.

Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow if the issue persists.
    1999 TR-21
    Optimax 225 Serial Number 0G842489

3. Member
    Took it out to the lake but it is still difficult to get it into neutral. It seems like it get hard/binds just before it shifts out of gear.
    Now I have a bonus engine light with no alarm sound. Could I have connected the new shift sensor incorrectly? Has 2 wires with male connectors and they plug into 2 female connectors. I used a continuity tester to test the switch. No buzz until I pressed in the actuator button (or maybe the other way around), so guessing it was a good part.

I have replaced the shift sensor, replaced the shift cable and adjusted per the manual.
    I guess the next thing I would replace is the shifter itself.
    or
    Do you think it is something up in the lower unit?

I have made an appointment to have the shop plug in and see if they can tell me what the engine light is for......but that will be 3-4 weeks out.
    Last edited by BassnChris; 08-08-2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar
    1999 TR-21

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How tight is the nut on the end of the shift cable? That nylock nut should be backed off 3/4 - 1 turn after it has been lightly snugged (so that the plastic washer between the nut and the cable end can spin FREELY).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    How tight is the nut on the end of the shift cable? That nylock nut should be backed off 3/4 - 1 turn after it has been lightly snugged (so that the plastic washer between the nut and the cable end can spin FREELY).
    I will check that tonight.

Is it ok to run the motor with the check engine light on?
    My appointment with the shop is 3-1/2 weeks out.

Thanks
    Chris
    1999 TR-21

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those warnings are an indication of a problem, and provide an operator the information to "proceed safely to port and get engine in for service".

Continuing to run the engine multiple times is probably not wise.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I was afraid that you would say that

I guess it will be at least a few weeks until it is done in the shop and able to take it back out to test getting it out of neutral.
    1999 TR-21

8. Member
    Great news..but not Fantastic news.....yet.

The Great news: The check engine light was on because I had the shift interrupter sensors wires switched.
    I switched them and the check engine light went off.

I loosened the shift cable nut so washer was free to spin. I obviously had it too tight.

The Fantastic news : Hopefully I will have that when I return from the lake tomorrow,

Shift interrupter sensor - 20220812_163918.jpg
    Last edited by BassnChris; 08-12-2022 at 05:25 PM. Reason: pic
    1999 TR-21

Are you sure you didn't just have one wire connected well? Pretty sure it's an open / closed switch so which wire goes where wouldn't matter. I could be wrong though.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't just have one wire connected well? Pretty sure it's an open / closed switch so which wire goes where wouldn't matter. I could be wrong though.
    I had a Merc mechanic tell me that too.
    I am pretty retentive about things like that
    But I made sure they were connected very well the first time.
    I made sure they were connected very well before I disconnected them.

I was thinking it was a shot in the dark and was very pleased to see the check engine light stay off.
    1999 TR-21

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassnChris View Post
    I had a Merc mechanic tell me that too.
    I am pretty retentive about things like that
    But I made sure they were connected very well the first time.
    I made sure they were connected very well before I disconnected them.

I was thinking it was a shot in the dark and was very pleased to see the check engine light stay off.
    @Bryanmc57 - guess you and the merc mechanic were right after all.....The check engine light came on when I fired it up at the launch............
    .....so to the shop it will go
    It did feel easier to shift but still not as easy as my last 2 boats. Maybe time to replace the shifter at the helm.....I will see if the shop can advise on that, too.
    1999 TR-21

12. Member
    The shop tells me that my 1999 Optimax is too old to work with their computers. So they burned 15 minutes of fuel and charged me an hours worth of shop time.
    It seems like they would of said something when I was dropping it off to be connected to the computer to find the reason for the check engine light that their computer would not work, eh?

So, if they can't connect a computer to it to find the reason for the check engine light - how do I proceed?
    Start throwing money at it replacing parts or run it 'til it craps out I guess
    Last edited by BassnChris; 09-08-2022 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    1999 TR-21

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Find a shop that has the Diacom software (or purchase it yourself if you like).

14. Member
    Aye sir.
    I have looking at that this weekend.

Thank you very much
    1999 TR-21

15. Member
    UPDATE
    It is hard to shift into neutral from both FWD and REV. It gets very 'tight' to shift with the control at the very top ( the last inch or so) in both FWD and REV.

I have removed the 'boomarang' shifting arm at the motor and laid it on my workbench. It appears to be flat/unbent condition. There are no wear marks in the cowling.
    I have replaced the shift sensor with a new one.
    I can hear the motor RPM slow a little when shifting.
    The diacom shows the shift sensor go from 'off' to 'on' when shifting into neutral.
    I made sure the motor was lowered and level.
    With cable disconnected - it shifts by hand out of the water with someone turning the prop.
    With cable disconnected - the control box seems to be smooth and functional.
    With cables connected it shifts easier on the trailer with someone turning the prop than it does when runnung in the water.
    I have replaced the shift cable with a new cable.
    There are not any sharp turns in the cable routing.

The only component that I have not replaced is the control box.

What would be the next thing I should test or replace?

Thank you,
    Chris
    Last edited by BassnChris; 10-19-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    1999 TR-21

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Double check engine RPM's at idle. Even the slightest amount of throttle applied can/will make shifting extremely difficult.

Throttle on the Control, or on a Hotfoot? If on the control, make sure that the throttle cable is not PRE-LOADED (this causes binding inside the control box).

17. Member
    @ 0% Throttle the RPM bounce between 540 and 570 RPMs per Diacom recording.
    Hot Foot.
    No control throttle cable...it has been removed from the boat.
    1999 TR-21

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perfectly normal.

19. Member
    Bassnchris,there is a post above yours made by MET about shifting problems. Mr Pugh suggested lightly bumping the throttle to lower the load on the gears. Go read his post,it might help you.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Bassnchris,there is a post above yours made by MET about shifting problems. Mr Pugh suggested lightly bumping the throttle to lower the load on the gears. Go read his post,it might help you.
    Thank you. I will look at it now.
    1999 TR-21

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast