Brand new Zillion G drag screeching

I fished my brand new Zillion G for the first time today. When I was fighting a fish, the drag literally made an awful screeching noise. I'm presuming this is not typical, considering I've read nothing but extremely high praise for this reel. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, is it easy to fix, or should I send it in for warranty repair?Thanks,Dave

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    That reel has a clicking drag. Must have been good fish to get an "awful screeching noise".
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Call Daiwa. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    What kind of line?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    What kind of line?
    12 lb mono

6. Member
    Have we eliminated the possibility that OP is not aware of the clicking drag system on the Zillion G?

7. Member
    UPDATE - It was NOT the clicking drag. Still not sure what it was, but after hearing it again fighting a fish yesterday, it almost sounded a bit like how braid can kind of sing through recoil guides. So I moved the reel from my NRX MBR843C to my Kistler Z-Bone, and all of a sudden, no noise! Maybe it was the line through the guides, but I've never heard mono do that, and it's never happened with any other reel on that rod.

8. Member
    Glad to hear it’s all good now

9. Member
    OP is aware that the clicking drag is not a clicking drag star but a sound the reels makes when the drag is slipping?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet63 View Post
    UPDATE - It was NOT the clicking drag. Still not sure what it was, but after hearing it again fighting a fish yesterday, it almost sounded a bit like how braid can kind of sing through recoil guides. So I moved the reel from my NRX MBR843C to my Kistler Z-Bone, and all of a sudden, no noise! Maybe it was the line through the guides, but I've never heard mono do that, and it's never happened with any other reel on that rod.
    Weird, but sometimes even flouro or mono can make some strange noises when fighting a good fish.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRange View Post
    OP is aware that the clicking drag is not a clicking drag star but a sound the reels makes when the drag is slipping?
    Yep, not the clicking drag.