Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aftermarket Lowrance Ghost prop??

Hey all,

Do they make an aftermarket prop for the Ghost yet? The stock one seems very small

2. Member

3. Member
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

4. Member
    Pricey, but it works. Been running one since my ghost was new. Basically a modified Ultrex prop and balancing nut.
    https://aquatechmarine.shop/products...trolling-motor

5. Member
    How tough is the prop? Am on my 4th from breaking when I get too shallow and hit rocks

6. Member
    The Minn Kota, MKP -33 will go right on and work. However it will have a gap about 7/16 or so between the hub and the motor. I modified mine on a milling machine to fit much tighter. Not a hard job at all to do and works fine.
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

7. Member
    I have been hearing about the fragile prop on the ghost from the beginning. There must be a reason for this. Has anyone asked Lowrance about this? I am wondering if the shaft gets bent easily and the weak prop is to prevent this. Sounds like a nice motor, but this would be troubling to me. Any insight? Thanks Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Mine still has the original prop on it. 3rd year. It's beat up a little but not enough to put the spare on. They have a composit shift and a breakaway in the mount
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    I broke my Ghost prop on my first trip out.......I have never broken a Minn Kota prop......I have dinged them up but never had one break.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    Pricey, but it works. Been running one since my ghost was new. Basically a modified Ultrex prop and balancing nut.
    They've just restocked these at AquaTech, for anyone interested. I have one on the way. Expensive for sure compared to a stock prop, but includes prop nut/balancer and if reports are correct a much stronger prop than the oem ghost. It was developed by the owner who is a tournament fisherman and lots of experience in Florida Grass. I will take my stock prop and keep it on the boat for a spare.

11. Member
    My only complaint about my Ghost is it's inability to cut through grass. Guess I need to come off the wallet.
    Just be kind to one another. It really is that simple.

https://www.instagram.com/the_lenny_draper/

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by htbboats View Post
    The Minn Kota, MKP -33 will go right on and work. However it will have a gap about 7/16 or so between the hub and the motor. I modified mine on a milling machine to fit much tighter. Not a hard job at all to do and works fine.
    This is the same prop that my 2012 24v, 80 lb. Fortrex uses and I still have the OEM original prop on my motor, It goes through weeds like a blender. Why pay that much for an aftermarket when the MKP-33 is only a third of the price ?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    This is the same prop that my 2012 24v, 80 lb. Fortrex uses and I still have the OEM original prop on my motor, It goes through weeds like a blender. Why pay that much for an aftermarket when the MKP-33 is only a third of the price ?
    Well for me, I don't have easy access to modify/mill of the 1/2" or so to reduce the gap. I imagine without reducing that gap it would become a weed/line magnet...but I could be wrong. Yes, it's expensive, I thought the same thing. But it does include a good prop nut with an access hole like the Bobs at least. And they've never had a return for a broken one.

Of course when I get it (tomorrow I think), it might just be a MP-33 milled down lol...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post

Of course when I get it (tomorrow I think), it might just be a MKP-33 milled down lol...
    Well, let this serve as a PSA - as Bandit53 mentioned, the Aquatech "Grass Chopper" is just a MKP-33 modified to fit the Ghost. It's milled at the hub for clearance, and milled on the face to remove the MK branding. So, if you have the ability to modify/mill the prop, you are definitely better off just buying the MK and doing it yourself.

The kit does come with a nice hefty prop nut and like the Bobs it has access hole so you can get to the shaft if required, but still it's overpriced for the kit. I suspect since it's pretty much the only option at this point, they feel they can charge whatever they want, and since they sell out every run they make it would appear they are correct.

At some point someone will come out with an alternative and the pricing will likely come down. Free Market Economy and all that.

Any pics of mods done to adapt mkp-33 to ghost or exactly where to machine before I order one for my ghost?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by htbboats View Post
    so just removed some of the back area where it sits on the shaft?? pictures of mods?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    so just removed some of the back area where it sits on the shaft?? pictures of mods?
    I took out about .125 off the hub. Went to Lowe’s and bought a bushing to reduce the hole size from 3/8 to 5/16. Then the Ghost sheer pin is a larger diameter and I think longer? You could elongate that in the prop or just use the Minn Kota pin. Either would work.

2AD9FEEE-D95F-42F5-A0D7-09649EBF6672.jpeg237E5A90-3E65-469C-A4EF-F02BCF4B200B.jpeg
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

For Info, Aquatech now also sells just the prop, so you don't have to buy the whole kit if you don't want to... still a bit more expensive than an OEM prop, but for those who dont want to try to modify one themself it's an option....

19. Member
    Other than not being as brittle, does this MK prop offer any other advantages?

It's a weedless design, where as the Ghost prop is certainly not :).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast