Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

First boat , best riding used hull???

So I’m def not trying to start a brand battle but here in a couple months when guys are coming off of some of these prices (already seeing it here a little) I’m gonna be looking for my first “own” boat and just curious from you guys what you would say is the softest landing, best riding used hull in that 2006/7-2010 or so range… bad back issues for a while is why I ask… I don’t want anything new first go around , mostly on decent sized lake that can get windy and somewhat rough for around here if a storm pops up. Looking at the 520/z20 and maybe the skeeter … if they keep coming down I may just go after a used 12-14 Phoenix if it isn’t bad but just didn’t think it was a good idea to start with something that new
    Last edited by Gillsandtines10; 07-29-2022 at 07:56 PM.

2. Member
    It’s honestly a very hard question to get an answer on. Very subjective, no real metrics available
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Yea I def understand… more so just looking for good recommendations from guys that ran boats in those years … just bc I don’t wanna jump into a new rig right off. I was back and forth between aluminum and I just think with the issues I have with the back it’s not a good idea. I know it’s not a science but ppl know or have an idea what a solid boat with a good ride from those years. I guess early to mid-2000s is what I’d be looking for just to have an easy payment and something to get out and learn the lake close by with. Thanks

4. Member
    I have a Ranger, but I would look at a 721 Phoenix for a ride. They are a little narrower and Phoenix is known for a good ride in rough water.
    My Ranger rides well, but I'm a candyazz when it's nasty. I slow down, enjoy the run and catch fish when I get there.

5. Member
    Yea I haven’t been in a Phoenix but def top of my list, just not sure if It’s a great idea to jump right into something that new but maybe that’s where you guys can help … pretty awesome deal on an 06 z20 near me but need upgraded graphs and I think I’d prob upgrade tm

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    It’s honestly a very hard question to get an answer on. Very subjective, no real metrics available
    Agree 100%. And, its a Ford Chevy thing in my opinion. Whats good is your looking at boats many of us own or have owned. Tons of info on here about likes, dislikes, problems and some info on resale. I have a 520, I love it and its a tank. Tons of storage and more boat than I need most days. Not the fastest boat but most lakes I fish are smaller and have speed limits. Are there better boats....yes. Are there worse boats....yes. Buy what best suits your budget and needs and have it checked out prior to buying or buy from a reputable dealer.

7. Member
    Yea I def know some guys will argue a brand and that’s not what I’m looking for… speed isn’t that important to me I mean if it can hit 60+ I’m completely fine with that… lakes aren’t gigantic near average in thag 55-70k acre range just thinking I would prefer atleast at 20’ er just judging by the different ones and sizes iv been in. That’s the reasoning behind asking about the mid 2000s models just bc I know it would be easier for my first one then can upgrade to what I want in a few years once I’m sure I want that kind of payment lol

8. Member
    I've asked this question to several of em.....only consensus I could find was, for the money, the 200 series champion....206 I think... bear in mind I have ZERO experience with it, etc.

9. Member
    Triton TR20.

10. Member
    Yea I have been in a triton my whole life fishing so tr20 isn’t out of the question I can just tell a huge diff in ride in the 20 footers iv been in opposed to the 18-19 footers

i was all for looking for a 200’series champ by they are hard to find in my area or somewhat close and when you find one in good shape with any upgrades you mind as well get into a 2014 Phoenix for what ppl ask for em haha

11. Member
    stratos 201 series basically what evolved into the phoenix 721
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Yea the 200 and 201 seem to be pretty affordable and have def been looking at those … heard the 201 was an awesome hull. Only thing that worries me with the stratos is this won’t be my long term forever boat (want a Phoenix for sure eventually) and don’t wanna lose my A$$ when I try to resale it.

Bad back? Don’t buy a bass boat…any of them.

14. Member
    Haha yea it’s something iv lived with a long time and prob will have to have something done again at some point but I miss fishing and wanna have one of my own to get back into it… I know none of em are perfect rides iv been in enough but also know some are a lot better than others … Even at my age being fairly young I care nothing about shooting across the lake doing 70 when it’s pretty choppy, just want to fish more learn the lake and maybe get into some small tourney fishing

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Bad back? Don’t buy a bass boat…any of them.
    Yep, best advice. Bass boats ride very rough in rough water. Longer boats ride a little better than shorter boats. Bass boats ride rough, period.

16. Member
    If you can but it's getting real hard. The best in that year range is a stratos 201 pro. Or even a 200 xl. The 201 is the same hull as the pheonix 721. The 200 xl is a rocket. I had Gary Clouse owner of Phoenix trying to sell me one in a weigh in line one day. Told him I didn't need a new boat and he asked what I had I said a stratos 201 pro. He responded yep your right you don't need a new one. Allen Stinson who just pasted away this year r.i.p. Design. May have to drive to get one but there out there.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillsandtines10 View Post
    Yea the 200 and 201 seem to be pretty affordable and have def been looking at those … heard the 201 was an awesome hull. Only thing that worries me with the stratos is this won’t be my long term forever boat (want a Phoenix for sure eventually) and don’t wanna lose my A$$ when I try to resale it.
    You won't loose anything on a 201 I bought my 08 for 27 probably ten years ago. Could sell it today for the same maybe more. I would buy a Phoenix in a heartbeat if I could for my boat and 10 grand but that ain't happening. Buddy of mine just backed out of ordering a 721 for 80 plus. Except for a four stroke basically same boat as mine.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    If you can but it's getting real hard. The best in that year range is a stratos 201 pro. Or even a 200 xl. The 201 is the same hull as the pheonix 721. The 200 xl is a rocket. I had Gary Clouse owner of Phoenix trying to sell me one in a weigh in line one day. Told him I didn't need a new boat and he asked what I had I said a stratos 201 pro. He responded yep your right you don't need a new one. Allen Stinson who just pasted away this year r.i.p. Design. May have to drive to get one but there out there.
    yea I like the stratos like I said worries me about eventual resale if I want to , but I do think those are very under rated boats, and seems every time I find one I’m interested in never fails it has the ol rude on it and I just don’t think I wanna go that route

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillsandtines10 View Post
    yea I like the stratos like I said worries me about eventual resale if I want to , but I do think those are very under rated boats, and seems every time I find one I’m interested in never fails it has the ol rude on it and I just don’t think I wanna go that route
    They were sold a lot with rude and I agree but after around 04 you started seeing a lot with yamahas and mercs. Mine is a 08 with a 225 pro Merc. You seen a lot of them being sold new with 225 when rated for 250. But they do extremely well with the smaller motor. Mine will hit 72 but you can cruise 65 like its floating on air. My partner has a 520 as much as I feel they are well built ride quality is just not comparable. Still good boats though. A well maintained motor is important.

20. Member
    [QUOTE=Kb444fishing;12607387]They were sold a lot with rude and I agree but after around 04 you started seeing a lot with yamahas and mercs. Mine is a 08 with a 225 pro Merc. You seen a lot of them being sold new with 225 when rated for 250. But they do extremely well with the smaller motor. Mine will hit 72 but you can cruise 65 like its floating on air. My partner has a 520 as much as I feel they are well built ride quality is just not comparable. Still good boats though. A well maintained motor is important.

Yea I may keep my eye out for a 200/201 after those years then , iv heard they were basically the Phoenix hulls and was curious about that bc all everyone talks about is the ride in the Phoenix… and the stratos are def more affordable with upgrades for sure

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast