Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've owned 3 201 Pros, very hard to beat.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Of course…because they all ride about the same. Certainly not enough measurable difference to base a purchase on. Layout, quality, stability while fishing, manufacturers support/warranty, dealer network, appearance, resale…all way more important factors.

AND 90 percent of the ride in any boat bass or otherwise is going to be in the experience level and patience of the driver.

For the OP…if had serious back issues. I’d consider a center console that you stand up when driving. The difference in my 23 foot bay boat and 21 foot bass boat ride is pretty stark…but you’d expect that with a boat that has more deadrise and a sharper bow entry.
    the bay boat idea def crossed my mind and after being in a buddy’s on the lake , super awesome riding standing for sure … but as far as any type of serious fishing it would annoy me pretty bad… not a lot of back deck room at all and when The console seems to be in the way more than I anticipated, I’m fairly young (35) and after one surgery I know I’ll end up having something else done eventually but as long as I’m careful and mindful of what I’m doing I can go months just dealing with the normal annoying pains and iv been fine in bass boats… it’s when I’m an idiot and try to swing a golf club like I’m 18 and then in the gym 4 days a week that I can turn wrong and I’m on my A$$ for a week… just comes and goes but the few 20 footers iv been in have def not been too bad on me at all

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    I've owned 3 201 Pros, very hard to beat.
    Any particular years the 201 were better than others or were they all the same hull

4. Member
    Anybody on here with a z20 that can message me? I def like some of the other boats listed and they are on my list but being in a z20 just felt a lot nicer than any other boat iv been in , just felt like something I’d wanna keep for a long time…. Just curious if the ride, speed (not that important to me), etc are that much of a difference to not care about finish, meaning the ride in a little chop is crazy diff and that much worse in a z20 as opposed to stratos, triton, or skeeter for example , bc imo there’s def a diff quality feel sitting in that z20 compared to boats of the same year

5. Member
    [QUOTE=dean c;12608228]Of course…because they all ride about the same. Certainly not enough measurable difference to base a purchase on. Layout, quality, stability while fishing, manufacturers support/warranty, dealer network, appearance, resale…all way more important factors.

AND 90 percent of the ride in any boat bass or otherwise is going to be in the experience level and patience of the drive.

Exactly. There are a brand or two glass boats I wouldnt buy. Tin boats are a different story altogether.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillsandtines10 View Post
    Any particular years the 201 were better than others or were they all the same hull
    anything after 2000 no wood
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    A lot of brand loyalty here!

Isn't part of your username a boat model though?......

8. Member
    The one I have is the best.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Isn't part of your username a boat model though?......
    Of course!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    The one I have is the best.
    which would be ?

11. Member
    Charger 496 or 596. Skeeter Iclass. Champion 198, 210

12. Member
    So I just got my 2nd ever boat and I was in a similar situation to you. I will say up front I do not have a lot of bass boat experience but I have been reading, listening, and researching this for well over a year. There were a few choices out there that seemed good but I had decided that for my money I wanted either a Ranger or Skeeter. That is simply based on my limited experience and some of the qualities in a boat that I personally wanted. So having that narrowed down when it came to hulls the best 2 seemed to be the Ranger 5xx series boat or the Skeeter I series boat. I knew I was going to go 20 footer for the ride quality and room so I was looking for the Z520 or 20I. Well I finally bought last week and I ended up with a 2008 21I Skeeter that was super local and that I fell in love with. It rides about as good as I think a bass boat probably can and the room is fantastic. I will be fishing decent size lakes and took a test ride on the Bay of Green Bay and it rode better than I expected. I know driver and other inputs have a lot to do with it, and there certainly are a lot of other boats that can provide a good ride. I really do think tho that the 520 or the I series will be near the top though. I wish you the best finding what you want and hope this can help even a little.
    Last edited by 99R93S; 07-31-2022 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot inportant info

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Of course…because they all ride about the same. Certainly not enough measurable difference to base a purchase on. Layout, quality, stability while fishing, manufacturers support/warranty, dealer network, appearance, resale…all way more important factors.

AND 90 percent of the ride in any boat bass or otherwise is going to be in the experience level and patience of the driver.

For the OP…if had serious back issues. I’d consider a center console that you stand up when driving. The difference in my 23 foot bay boat and 21 foot bass boat ride is pretty stark…but you’d expect that with a boat that has more deadrise and a sharper bow entry.
    You are correct about the deeper v hull design riding better and I think that's why my Triton rides so good for a 20 footer. Previously I owned a Skeeter the same length that rode pretty dang rough. It had a lot flatter entry into the water than my 20xs has. Really, I have no brand loyalty, just a lot of experience in various boats having fished co-angler for quite a few years. There are definitely boats that ride softer and some that ride pretty dang harsh. Some of the best riding boats that I've ridden in were narrower than what I own. Those I remember were a Bullet and several Basscats.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    So I just got my 2nd ever boat and I was in a similar situation to you. I will say up front I do not have a lot of bass boat experience but I have been reading, listening, and researching this for well over a year. There were a few choices out there that seemed good but I had decided that for my money I wanted either a Ranger or Skeeter. That is simply based on my limited experience and some of the qualities in a boat that I personally wanted. So having that narrowed down when it came to hulls the best 2 seemed to be the Ranger 5xx series boat or the Skeeter I series boat. I knew I was going to go 20 footer for the ride quality and room so I was looking for the Z520 or 20I. Well I finally bought last week and I ended up with a 2008 21I Skeeter that was super local and that I fell in love with. It rides about as good as I think a bass boat probably can and the room is fantastic. I will be fishing decent size lakes and took a test ride on the Bay of Green Bay and it rode better than I expected. I know driver and other inputs have a lot to do with it, and there certainly are a lot of other boats that can provide a good ride. I really do think tho that the 520 or the I series will be near the top though. I wish you the best finding what you want and hope this can help even a little.
    Good info, appreciate it… yea I tend to over research when I make purchases and have been mulling options for a long time and just waiting until the late fall winter to pull the trigger on one… like iv said I hate ppl don’t like the ranger ride or talk bad about it bc riding in one is nice man, the fit and finish is just different even in the older models … I do like skeeter also but def thinking that the stratos 200-201 is up there I just know I’m giving up fit and finish but I’ll get that if I upgrade in a few years to a newer model , price on em already rigged with a lot I want seem to be pretty good and should get better in the next few months , we will see

15. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    201 stratos one of the most iconic hulls ever built. That and the 202 Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have owned just about all of the Skeeter platforms from the mid 90s till now. My 20i had a great ride but I feel like the FXR/ZXR hulls ride better. My current ZXR20 by far seems to be the best ride to me. I also think the new style seats helps a lot with that too.
    This does have a lot to do with it...when they changed model design in 2015, the ride and comfort level changed with it as well...and again with the zxr and fxr redesign...not as drastic of a change...but I do believe the Skeeter platform is a comfortable riding of a boat and easy driving of a fishing outfit out there. The older I class is still sought after after all these years but you couldn't give me an hpdi outboard...they are very easy on fuel but very risky when it come to the pocketbook in the mechanic shop. I love the new zxr layouts compared to the split lids of a few years ago...hated it...but the quality has suffered thru covid as with most everything else...I may eventually one day get back in a Skeeter...I love this Bumble Bee that I just purchased. Practically a brand new boat as it's been totally restored by Genesis Fiberglass in Tullahoma TN and the Yamaha has very few hours on it...best thing is it's paid for...one day I'll get another Bug....
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    If you can find an older Nitro 911 CDC, you might take a look at it. My buddy ran one for years and though the boat is still a bass boat with a rough ride, you don't seem to feel it as much being more toward the center of the boat. Plus it's a big, heavy boat. Nitros don't have the greatest rep but you asked about ride and the 911 seemed to have a less rough ride than others!

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    So I know if I hold Out a little longer I’ll find a deal but there are actually two great deals near me (seem to be on paper I haven’t seen them in person) on a Ranger z20 and Stratos 201 xl both in that 05-06 year range … stratos has better graphs , spot lock , hydro JP, and 201 is listed a few thousand less …. Main question would be is the ride on the Z20 that much worse noticeable … I’m trying to outweigh the much nicer boat finish wise and quality to the 201 which ppl say ride a lot better … speed would be last on my priority list… if it’ll run 60-62 I’m perfectly fine with that right now …. But if that 201 is crazy Better ride and has some what comparable fishibility with the TM down I think this is a heck of a deal

The softest ride for me is the Legend Alpha 211 2008 to 2013. Folliwing that is the Ranger 522. If you can find a Champion 203 it is a great ride. I marshalled at an Elite event earlier this year and rode in 2 different Phoenix boats in rough water. The pounding was terrible. Took a month for my back to quit hurting.

20. Member
    Came out of a Ranger, rode in a lot of different brands. Currently have a Phoenix 721 and it's smooth. You can let it rip and it will eat in some rough water, but if you have back problems going slow is the ticket. It still surprises me after almost 4 years how soft it lands and just works its way through rough, inconsistent ass waves here at Lake of the Ozarks doing about 25 mph. Trim it all the way down, then back up just a bump and you can take your hands off the wheel while you gently feather the throttle. I feel like I also get a lot of looks in the summer cruising by much bigger boats just letting it do its thing. The boat being a bit more narrow (still plenty wide) just makes the ride awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast