Thread: TPS sensor

TPS sensor

Getting a code on the dash. TPS sensor. 2022 Pro XS 250 Serial 3B144614. Is there something simple to check? Maybe make sure it’s plugged in good? Where is this sensor? Obviously under warranty but don’t want to mess with all that if it’s something simple.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was there a number with the code?

Technically, there's a demand sensor, and an ETC (electronic throttle control). Each of those has an "A" and a "B" sensor in it.

Improper hotfoot setup, or having your foot on the hotfoot when keying up (or starting) can actually trigger faults as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    There may have been but I didn’t see it. Is it stored anywhere? Can I pull it back up? It’s done it a couple of times. The last time was when I powered up the boat and I was standing beside it in my garage so I know my foot wasn’t on the hotfoot.
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can be pulled up with the G3 Diagnostic System. Full Printouts would be wise.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    It says “STBD Sys Fault 87” and “STBD Sys Fault 90” on my Mercury monitor.
    Lowrance Ghost TM

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry- don't even see an 87 or 90 listed for the V8 Fourstroke Series.

7. Member
    Ok. I am 100% certain that’s what it is saying. I had my phone with me and was looking at it and double checking that I typed it exactly like it said. Now I’m worried my dealer won’t even be able to figure it out if Don doesn’t even recognize the codes.
    Lowrance Ghost TM

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is considerably more detail in the Full Reports that your dealer's G3 Diagnostic System provides. I would specifically request a FULL PRINTOUT (or saved PDF copy) of that information.

9. Member
    Problem seems to be fixed. I took the cowling off and checked the connections that I could easily. There was one connection, that I figured was to the TPS. It was going to something on the intake. Anyway, nothing seemed loose but I just made sure they were seated. I never felt anything click in, like it wasn’t seated but nevertheless, the codes went away and it seems to run better than ever. I’m still planning on taking it to the dealer and having them do a full diagnostic.
    Lowrance Ghost TM