2003 tr 21 300x help

Getting a water pressure warning around 5300 rpm. Not sure if my engine is too high on jackplate. It's right at the top. Lower unit has side water pickups and front of cone has four holes I believe for water pickup as well.

2. Member
    Do you have a water pressure gauge? If so you need to have 12-15 psi at higher rpm`s.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

3. Member
    No gauge just the guardian system telling me low pressure. Happens everytime around 5300 when you try to wot. Have to reduce rpms to idle then you can again but will happen right away again if you go past that rpm.

4. Member
    What does water pump indicator do, pee hole does it weaken? When beeps start
    1995 Ranger 482v
    2013 Mercury Pro XS 175hp

2008 Triton Tr-21x HP

5. Member
    I have watched it and literally zero change in pee hole pressure from what I can tell when it happens.

6. Member
    I have side water pickup and front cone pickup as well. Not sure why. Would post a picture but I can't figure out how to post a picture on here

7. Member
    I have the same style,

are you sure its water fault beeps and not something else causing fault?
    1995 Ranger 482v
    2013 Mercury Pro XS 175hp

2008 Triton Tr-21x HP

Measure your PTP….more than likely you’re sucking in air in the top hole at higher speeds…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Id take it in and get the impeller changed at least. If not a water pump kit. Im not familiar with your model engine. But could have junk in the thermostats or if that model has a poppett valve, change that too. Reasonable maitenence costs, and then you know all that is in proper order.

10. Member
    If it’s a Mercury, there’s another possibility it’s the poppet valve. I’m not sure if other brands have a poppet valve. The poppet valve controls your cooling system at higher rpm’s. It don’t remember the exact rpm though. Your thermostat controls the cooling at lower rpm’s. Once you get above a certain rpm/psi, the poppet valve takes over from the thermostat. I’ve had to change a few poppet valves throughout the years. I had one that was “melted” like a blob inside the cover. I had to chisel it out. They’re not hard to change but they have a spring inside so you have to be careful not to let it come flying out.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike