oil pump output message

250XS - 0T819123
    So I was out on an offshore fishing trip yest running about 100 miles. On the way back I get a "oil pump output" message and immediately shut down. I checked the main onboard oil tank and the level wasl ow - an inch or so from the bottom. My assumption is that the pickup sucked in some air. I added oil tried to start but the engine won't fire. Is this because I need to do a oil pump prime or is there another meaning to the "oil pump output" message? Thanx Rich

2. Member
    Need to check engine reservoir level as well and most likely will need to bleed air from that tank - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Need to check engine reservoir level as well and most likely will need to bleed air from that tank - Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank
    Thank You - I assumed I would need to bleed that as well. But what I'm wondering is if air was sucked in would that prevent the engine from starting?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PCM does not monitor "oil pump output". It monitors oil level, and it recognizes a SHORT CIRCUIT or an OPEN CIRCUIT on the electronic oil pump.

Don't attempt to run the engine again until you've had the Freeze Frame History pulled to determine precisely which fault (note that there may be a blown fuse involved or other electrical problem).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Went down to the boat last night and hooked up the ddt and ran a oil pump test - it failed - solenoid didnt respond - checked fuses they were all good. Is oil pump toast?

6. Member
    most likely , could eliminate pcm as problem on other engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could also put a test light or a voltmeter on the connector to see if it's pulsing voltage during the oil pump test. Or... a known-functional oil pump, simply plug it into the connector (without running the engine, of course).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. Replaced the oil pump it primed right up - had to replace the main power relay as the engine wouldn't fire. Now i'm being a bit paranoid that i may have 2 oil lines reversed in they're location on the pump. I'm assuming that the lines have specific locations on the pump and if not installed correctly will be bad? I know the larger fitting on the pump is for the air compressor - do the cylinders correspond to the numbers on the pump diagram?

9. Member

Found this diagram in an earlier post - #3 appears to be the larger fitting for the air compressor. Where do the cylinders go to? Just went through the service manual and could'nt find that info. Thanks again

10. Member
    #3 only one that matters , its just a plunger all oil at same time , the early optities were timmed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Thanks Joe - I was staring to freak out