Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livewells and ice

Looking ahead at the weather for my Champlain trip I’m seeing highs in the possible 90’s. I always have a cooler on board with ice, but I don’t expect it to be ice all day in that heat. My live wells are working just fine, but tend to get warmer as the sun beats on the darker carpet. How many guys add ice to keep the live well cooler for the fish? I’m debating frozen water bottles and having cubes and block in the cooler. General consensus?

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Best thing you can add is a set of livewell vents , and I always run my wells continuos all day using lake water never had a problem ,fish live it what ever temp the lake water is don't want to shock them with ice .You can use some additive if you like but getting the bad gases out is the main thing in my opinion and keep it pumping ...if your gonna try ice try frozen bottles maybe 1 or 2 don't want to drop it too much ...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    Ice packs

4. Member
    fun fishing? why use livewell? i run main pump constantly and second pump some also and use lid to fan the water 2-3 times per hour works well
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I’m not a fan of ice personally, but don’t want fish dying either. This is a private tournament so weigh in at end of day.

6. Member
    This seems to be a very controversial topic.

Vents are nice until you run rough water and see all the water coming out of it
    especially if your like me and plug the overflow tube and fill livewell to the top prior to making a run

There are plenty of things you can do

Check your fish often releases any gas and lets you know if you have an issue
    keep plenty of livewell treatment in there
    Install oxygenators
    Run both fill and recirc pumps
    Put a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in there to increase the oxygen content (2 teaspoons) at most
    If you fish alone or your partner fishes up front with you toss a lifejacket or coat over the lids to block the sun also keep the livewell lids cracked open a little

Ice is a must and some freeze cubes or blocks with livewell treatment in the ice
    but bottles are best because buy the end of the day the ice is melting even though the bottle maybe half melted the water inside is still cold and your cooler isn't full of water

But Twitch is correct dropping the temp to much can shock the fish even worse when they get tossed back in the hot water after the weighin so don’t add to much ice at any given time
    "The handicapped angler"

I carry 70lbs or more of ice for every event I fish on Champlain, Oneida, Ontario. Recirc is on manual all day, add rejuvinade or g juice. I run 225ah of cranking power to ensure my batteries can handle everything. Those fish live in extremely cold water 30-40ft down, they need extremely cold water in the livewell. Ill add a bag of ice every hour or so as I see fit.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    start before blast off by filling livewells add ice and some g juice. set pumps to recirculate on timer I usually have mine on for 1 min off for about 3min in hot weather. Add ice during the day as needed. Never want to pump warm lake water from the top of the water column when your catching fish in 10 to 40 feet of water. Can add little more g juice if needed half way thru day. I strongly recommend the vt2 livewell vents as well. Follow this and you wont have a dead fish do to any fault of your own. The g juice will combat any chlorine in the making of the ice so no issues there.

10. Member
    I freeze 2L bottles/icepacks and throw them in throughout the day. Keep the livewell on recirc and don't let any fresh lake water in once full. In the hot water temps of summer ice and gjuice or please release me are essential.
    I fished a BFL a couple weeks ago and there were SO many big dead fish it was disgusting. Highly doubt many of those guys were using any form of ice to cool the livewells.

I fish a jon boat series where most guys use cooler livewell set ups and it's a 6 fish limit with no dead fish weighed rule....we hardly see any dead fish at weigh in. Really wouldn't mind seeing that rule or a heavier penalty than .25lb in the bigger events.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sbfishingtv View Post
    I freeze 2L bottles/icepacks and throw them in throughout the day.
    This is what I do. The 20oz soda bottles work well.

12. Member
    When by myself I put the frozen bottles on the opposite side so as not to beat up the fish. Also some pool noodles will only help with the hot lids by insulating more.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

One big bag of ice first thing in the morning, treat for chlorine, fill the tank...no more outside water the rest of the day...run recirc pump on timer, oxygenators or pro air...I have vents in my boat so that helps as well ...the system works...and it works well...water stays cool all day but not too cold as to shock the fish to where they can't recover...look up John Henry fish care on YouTube ...works very well in the south when done correctly...I don't want bottles or anything in the tank with the fish. It's just something else that they can beat their heads against...I keep pool noodles in my live well cause these big Pickwick smallmouth will beat themselves silly trying to get out...frozen water bottles make zero sense to me...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    One big bag of ice first thing in the morning, treat for chlorine, fill the tank...no more outside water the rest of the day...run recirc pump on timer, oxygenators or pro air...I have vents in my boat so that helps as well ...the system works...and it works well...water stays cool all day but not too cold as to shock the fish to where they can't recover...look up John Henry fish care on YouTube ...works very well in the south when done correctly...I don't want bottles or anything in the tank with the fish. It's just something else that they can beat their heads against...I keep pool noodles in my live well cause these big Pickwick smallmouth will beat themselves silly trying to get out...frozen water bottles make zero sense to me...
    \

This^^^^
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

15. Member
    Great video about using ice. Works like a charm. RIP JH

link doesn’t show up. Search Wired 2 Fish, John Henry - icing fish
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-30-2022 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Link not attaching

16. Member
    I like Jon’s approach. Although if you have a livewell full of ice and wait until you catch a fish, that water is going to be 32° when the fish hits it. Everything else makes sense.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I do exactly what he does however I add my g juice and then add my water before tournament even starts .adding 80 plus degree water to the ice added melts the ice fast this way your not putting the first fish in ice water. Water is cool but not too cool then I add ice thru the day as needed. I too do not like frozen water bottles as it's more shit for the fish to bang into.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Best thing you can add is a set of livewell vents , and I always run my wells continuos all day using lake water never had a problem ,fish live it what ever temp the lake water is don't want to shock them with ice .You can use some additive if you like but getting the bad gases out is the main thing in my opinion and keep it pumping ...if your gonna try ice try frozen bottles maybe 1 or 2 don't want to drop it too much ...
    People under estimate the power of pumping fresh water all day. Thats what i do and dont have an issue. From the time my 1st fish goes in my fill pumps are running til they go in weigh bag. I have spray heads with a valve where i can regulate the flow. If i dont regualte it some mine will over flow into my rear compartments
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

19. Member
    I have not had a problem with losing fish in the summer, fill the wells when I catch first fish, set it on recirculate and forget about it. My Triton wells and now Caymas have always been awesome keeping fish alive.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    People under estimate the power of pumping fresh water all day. Thats what i do and dont have an issue. From the time my 1st fish goes in my fill pumps are running til they go in weigh bag. I have spray heads with a valve where i can regulate the flow. If i dont regualte it some mine will over flow into my rear compartments
    The problem with that, especially if you are catching fish deep, is that you are pumping hot surface water onto fish that are caught in much cooler water. That said, if you aren't having problems I wouldn't worry about changing anything. I think the vast majority of problems are from guys that are just running livewells on timers and not getting enough fresh or recirc water going. Also, aluminum livewells on a hot day can get extremely hot, and they need insulation / ice more so than glass / plastic livewells.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast