What to do after motor sitting for years

S/N is OB 332898, 1988 Mercury 200 hp. Has not been started since I think the fall of 2019, but may have been the spring. We basically quit going because of Covid concerns, I was afraid my dad would catch it from me. Put new water pump on last spring, Pop and I got new batteries and tires, put new bearings in and started working on the brakes. Pop’s health started declining and I lost the heart to work on. We lost Pop in May of this year, and I pray he is home in Paradise in the Lord’s care with other family members we have lost. I still don’t have the brakes done from last year, don’t have one of the batteries in, have mixed emotions about going fishin, but want to get the boat back in shape. After sitting so long, unfogged and no Stabil, what do I need to do to try and get it running? I don’t think it has alot of gas in it, but that could still be alot of gallons when capacity is 42 gallons, what do you do with old gas? I assume it’s too old to mix new and stabil or sea foam with it. We have tried to do work ourselves and I would like to continue that with God always helping me to do more than I could possibly do on my own, so please share your advice, especially Don and Joe, on what I need to do. If you still have your dad, enjoy every day with him. I lost my best friend when I lost Pop and miss him so, so much. Thanks be to God for the memories and for the hope we have in Jesus of seeing him again, and may God bless you all. Thanks

2. Member
    May the blessings of the Lord be with you on your quest. I don't know what to do with old gas either. Since you just replaced the water pump you have done one good thing. I don't know if the Mercury has oil injection, so no matter if it does, I'd run the motor on a 50:1 gas/oil mixture to start with. If it has an oil reservoir drain the old oil out inspect the inside bottom make sure there isn't any sediment inside then fill it half way with fresh oil. Most reservoirs are semi transparent so you can mark on two adjacent sides with magic marker the oil level to see if the auto mixer is working.
    After putting fresh gas in if it has carburetors pump the bulb and see if there are any leaks. If it has an in-line fuel filter in the boat, put in a new filter, or drain the old gas from there too.

I have just shown many of us that I don't own an 1988 Mercury motor but if I did those things are what I'd start with.

3. Member
    Thank you billnorman1, I appreciate your post, and may the Lord bless you. Thanks again

4. Member
    fuel disposal can be a problem for sure ,oil cylinders and rotate , replace oil pump[ hoses , clean carbs and fuel sytem complete replace pulse pump diaphram , start up on mix fuel ^^^^^^^^+1 , chance gear oil and inspect ,lube all swivel points , i prob forgot something but thats a start
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks Joe, I appreciate your help, and may God bless you.

6. Member
    he has, trust me , 3 times
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I believe you, He blesses us every day