Warning beeps - 175 xri - sn# 0G217776

New to us Mercury 175 xri (I believe 1995, serial #OG217776). We test drive boat before buying, no issues. Ran on muffs (idle) at home, no issues. Go out to lake on shake down cruise and get constant beeps from buzzer alarm. Beep, beep, beep,...... Fast and right from start up. Eng water pressure guage barely registered, tell-tale had inconsistent water. It has been several years since I have owned an out board.

Could this be an impeller issue?

2. Member
    That’s not an overheat alarm, overheat is beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, long solid tone. That alarm can be water in fuel, low oil in oil tank on motor and a oil gear not turning, and maybe more like over voltage.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    ^^^^^^^ +1 ,oil level in tank on mtr full to top ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ +1 ,oil level in tank on mtr full to top ?????
    Yes. Only the small fill neck does not have oil in it.

5. Member
    Should I be seeing oil in this line when engine is idle?
    20220729_163844.jpg

20220729_163848.jpg

6. Member
    YES SIR , need to verify integrity of crank gear and rotation of driven gear to pump , DO NOT run again without oil mixed in tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Banned
    Had a similar issue with my XRI. The oil injection system went out. Now I just premix. Was told this was best as the oil injections system tends to fail in the older XRI's.