Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

Shoulder Surgeries - UHG!

So evidently I was blessed with bad shoulders. I had a right rotator cuff cleaned when I was 19 (baseball) then in 2012 had arthro on same shoulder to repair my supras then again in 2017 where they had to actually cut. Between 2012 and 2017 I have had a couple tears in my left shoulder but decided to heal naturally and cancelled a scheduled surgery. Well about 3 weeks ago working on side by side I did it again and tore my right shoulder. Well went to Dr. and he looked at all the pics and vid I had and told me my surgeries in 2012 & 2017 failed and the tendons never attached to the bone and now I have Shoulder Arthropathy and cant have another surgery until I cant deal with pain and then its reverse shoulder replacement. I don't have much pain but some and limited motion and strength. He said I should just live with it as my shoulders are the best they are going to be right now.

So that's what in m doing living with it. - I'm a serious and very active Bowhunter and do a lot of work in the woods and on farm/ranches... I use to shoot hundreds of arrows a week and now don't shoot much but have an archery trip to MT for Pronghorn in a few weeks so I'm practicing a little here and there. Fishing is affected as well as I tire now 1/2 thru the day of casting :(

Anyone else with multiple shoulder surgeries and does your shoulder get fatigued quick. While screwing in a screw at or above straight out I have to attack it many times cause no shoulder stamina AND my first surgeon in 2012 said Id be throwing a baseball again in 8 months but I have never been able to :(
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Right now, I can barely use it..
    I waited too long for my first shoulder surgery after a life of mishaps and suffering.
    Dr. looked at MRI and wanted to know how I even used it.
    MRI showed a partially torn bicep- broken collar bone- front and rear rotator cuff with partial tears--top cuff torn completely off.
    Because of covid (no selective surgery) and a failed EKG it was 8 months from MRI till first surgery. They put in 4 screws with suture holds to tie the top cuff back on.
    Fast forward two years --- have torn the top cuff off again and waiting to try a graft.
    Sadly, it's my casting shoulder

Was all that due to a specific injury, multiple or wear and tear? Man do you have bad pain -That's a lot!

I have a few of those suture anchors, sutures and a small plate with a couple screws.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Right now, I can barely use it..
    I waited too long for my first shoulder surgery after a life of mishaps and suffering.
    Dr. looked at MRI and wanted to know how I even used it.
    MRI showed a partially torn bicep- broken collar bone- front and rear rotator cuff with partial tears--top cuff torn completely off.
    Because of covid (no selective surgery) and a failed EKG it was 8 months from MRI till first surgery. They put in 4 screws with suture holds to tie the top cuff back on.
    Fast forward two years --- have torn the top cuff off again and waiting to try a graft.
    Sadly, it's my casting shoulder
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

No sir-- broke the collar bone busting in a door with my shoulder during a house fire in 2006.
    Working cattle in 2010 when I tore the bicep. Have had some shoulder issues since my days of team roping. Probably the partial torn cuffs.
    Took a bad fall and landed on a rock which was the (last straw) figure that's when the top cuff tore loose. At that point I was about one armed and went for MRI. Of course, you know how long the down time and rehab takes !! It was good and pain free for two years. Then I re-tore it trying to keep from tearing my boat up on a courtesy dock in a 50 mph wind.
    Amazing the things, you can do left-handed. Hurts like hell right now but trying to put the surgery off till this winter.
    Good luck with yours.

5. Member
    I’ll start off by telling you total reverse shoulder surgery is a piece of cake compared to rotator cuff surgery. I’ve had both my shoulders done with the reverse method and had no problems whatsoever. Right one done in Oct. 2019 and the left done Nov. 2021. Also had rotator cuff surgery done 15 years prior and it was a struggle for months afterwards.

The end of March this year I slipped on ice did a total body slam on my right side and destroyed my reverse shoulder that was done in 2019. Shattered the bone in four places and now have an implant that goes through the bone almost to my elbow. In PT now and have regained almost all range of motion but have to work on strengthening the muscles around the shattered bone. Even this surgery was a piece of cake compared to my rotator cuff surgery.

With a total reverse surgery you no longer use the rotator cuff and you use your deltoid muscle instead. If your doctor didn’t explain what is done in reverse surgery, the Dr. will cut the ball in half and implant a socket where it was and then take the socket and replace it will a ball. Thus the “reverse” surgery. If you choose surgery I bet you’ll like the results. It was out patient surgery, in at 7am out at 1pm. INCREDIBLE…I was 66 when I had my first surgery in 2019. I’m 69 now.

GOOD LUCK either way.
    Last edited by Cover Dog; 07-28-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

They explained the reverse surgery and I was kind of OK with it--- up till they talked about cutting the ball in half..
    Even with mine he said he would know more when it gets in there and there may be no other option than the reverse.

I’ve had 3 shoulder surgeries. Always for dislocation. I could sneeze and dislocate a shoulder. Had my right done for the second time in 2015. It was almost 6 hrs to fix all the problems I had. I used to be an electrician and dreaded installing 2x4 light fixtures. It sure caused a burning in the shoulders.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

8. Member
    Had ortho shoulder surgery in college due to dislocations most of them caused by tennis. Had it repaired and worked fine until as a young adult I went back to playing tennis. Tore it up again. Doc wanted to redo it with full-open surgery to “grind the ball down to size.” I asked him if I have this done could I return to playing tennis. He asked how much do I like tennis. There was my answer and I never went back. Apparently, I just have bad shoulders that can dislocate easily. I’m just careful with what I do especially overhead stuff.

9. Member
    Rotator cuff was brutal. Followed the docs instructions & bounced back. If you’re contemplating it just make sure you use the prescribed drugs to stay AHEAD of the pain. This ain’t for sissies.

10. Member
    I’ve had 2. Right now I have “frozen” shoulder due to lack of use due to my bicep Re attachment surgery.

11. Fishing is a Passion
    Such a great post for me. Basically a jock, Swimmer in college. Never had any accidents to the shoulder. I am 64 and about 4 months ago the shoulder started to hurt from specific movements. The great thing is that I can play golf as that motion does not hurt, That is the only motion that does not create pain. Cannot lift the shoulder above neck height without tears in the eyes. Had xrays completed 2 weeks ago. Results are in, "mild gland humeral and AC joint osteoarthritis". Bottom line is I am pretty much at the mercy of the arthritis. Seeing rheumatologist, hoping for some good news.

All those with operations, replacements and pain, I feel for you.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

12. Member
    Might want to consult with other Dr's. Not saying yours is wrong, but always good to get a 2nd opinion on something like that.

I tore a distal bicep tendon and partially tore my RC, both dirt bike related, different arms, both repaired surgically. PT was not fun for either, but I've had no problems since. I know a lot of guys with joint replacements. Most of the shoulder ones (not all) are very happy with the results.
    John

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I have had surgeries on both shoulders years a part (last one 6 years ago) extensive repairs and attacked rehab with a mission to get back to my active lifestyle in both cases. Didn't cheat or try to comeback too early just because there was a fishing tournament or a kayak race

I've swam a lot of miles, do a lot of shoulder strengthening exercises to keep them fit, have pitched a lot of Batting Practice, made a lot of casts and paddled a lot of miles in a kayak just finished a 340 Mile race on the Missouri River a few weeks ago.

Sure at 73 have some aches and pains from a lot of activity especially working putting up sheetrock where my arms are extended above my head but my range of motion and strength in each shoulder is good so staying active as long as my hear still beats.

14. Member
    I've had both shoulders done for rotator cuff repairs. Both times I needed to go back on the "table" for Manipulation. Surgeon tries to twist your arm off to tear through scar tissue; great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I have had surgeries on both shoulders years a part (last one 6 years ago) extensive repairs and attacked rehab with a mission to get back to my active lifestyle in both cases. Didn't cheat or try to comeback too early just because there was a fishing tournament or a kayak race

I've swam a lot of miles, do a lot of shoulder strengthening exercises to keep them fit, have pitched a lot of Batting Practice, made a lot of casts and paddled a lot of miles in a kayak just finished a 340 Mile race on the Missouri River a few weeks ago.

Sure at 73 have some aches and pains from a lot of activity especially working putting up sheetrock where my arms are extended above my head but my range of motion and strength in each shoulder is good so staying active as long as my hear still beats.
    340 mile race, you are amazing! keep going Hoot!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

16. Member
    My neighbor my only close neighbor had what you are talking about done in Tennessee and he did great and and is better than he has been since he was young. Don’t remember the surgeon but he is very happy with his work!

WOW LOVE all the stories and PM's. So many issues both good and bad. I 100% will look into what you guys sent me privately. THANK YOU! Just to clarify my Dr.s advice was to not have the reverse surgery until it became a real issue for me as currently I don't have much pain and have pretty good movement and strength for what I have also that I cant have anymore tendon repairs... Its amazing to think of each one of your trials and tribulations. I think we are all different in how we heal and deal with this. One common thing to me is it seems to be very active folks get this weather it be hard work or sports. Its also clear to me that it NEVER goes away and is always in the background. That is definitely my case. I still wish I could toss a baseball :( . I'm sure some day ill join you guys club of reverse shoulder surgery recipients but looks like not at this point. The comment about Rotator vs. Reverse with reverse being an easier surgery I really believe that. My shoulder surgeries were way harder than my hip replacement - Yeah I had that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post

I did all the rehab and worked really hard to get my right shoulder back to where it was before the injury. I could never throw a baseball or football after the rebuild. I can throw sidearm a little, but that’s it. I can swing a golf club no problem.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Had two failed surgeries....labrum repair, tore at work...went to see Cain at Andrews and he fixed it up as best he could and it took several years but I finally got back to bow hunting and shooting right handed...just this year was the first year I shot my 300 wsm...1st surgery was in 2015. Total 3 surgeries, about 160 therapy sessions over two years. Misery. Had labrum repair, pulled anchor, biceps tendodesis, and subacromial decompression...should've all been done at once but it was done over 3 surgeries....should've went to Birmingham the first time....wouldn't have had those issues...learn the hard way....
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Sooo how many know a woman with shoulder issues like us? Just wondering that's all.