Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I bought a 188 and have questions

I found myself a 188 in really good shape so she is mine now! I’ve only had it out the once so far and have a few questions…

Is there a rod organizer that will work in this boat? It doesn’t have holders or tubes.

the live well has a screened filter plug and a solid plug but only one hole. Trying to figure out when to use which..

Is there a good setup for the center storage? Thinking of making dividers from pvc board

it has a 25M stamp on the prop but that’s all I can find..what speed should I be looking for with a 2.6L 200 Yamaha VMAX HPDI?

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Congrats on the 188!!!! Folks will be along to answer questions. Check the OEM thread pinned above...lots of sources listed for things like organizers, etc....

3. Member
    Congrats on the new to you Champ! I love mine so much. Ive got an evinrude 200 on the back with 10" manual jackplate running a tempest+ 25 pitch at 3.5" prop to pad and get 64-66mph in the cooler months and 62-64 in summer.
    Mine came with rod tubes in the port box but I took them out. I fish big swimbaits for striper and nothing over 7'3" fit in the box. I put the few small conventional rods in with rod socks when bass fishin. I just left the center box open and throw a few boxes in it never bothered with dividers.

I hope you enjoy the 188 as much as I do its a great rig!
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    If you have pics that helps a ton. Post the drains... AND a boat Pic.
    I have a 198DC and really considering trading down for a 188DC single axel.

In one rod locker I pulled the Moose head but left tubes as it keeps rod tips straight and the other side I use socks. Tubs racks are all over for sale. Seen many. Lot of guys hate them.

There are many tackle management systems - I like the thick 3700 boxes and got a custom divider from MK2 designs.

the 25 should be good, You can play with the height a bit if it has not ben optimized.

Take a look at the Champion OEM Information Post sticky as there is a TON of great info there.

b1.jpgb4 (2).jpgb11.pngb12.jpg
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striperaddict View Post
    running a tempest+ 25 pitch at 3.5" prop to pad and get 64-66mph in the cooler months and 62-64 in summer.
    Mine came with rod tubes in the port box but I took them out. I fish big swimbaits for striper and nothing over 7'3" fit in the box.
    I only had it out the once and wanted to take it to my mechanic to do a complete run through of the engine and filters so its currently there for a few days but when I had it out I think I was in low 60s occasionally but the water was rough that day so I didnt run too hard often. Ill check prop to pad when I get it back. 10" slidemaster. What is the longest you can fit without the tubes? near 8'?
    Last edited by A6113mech; 07-29-2022 at 10:40 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Congrats on the 188!!!! Folks will be along to answer questions. Check the OEM thread pinned above...lots of sources listed for things like organizers, etc....
    Its very fun to drive Ill say that!! I checked the OEM thread but didnt see it.....The interior rocker lights. The one on the side of the driver console doesnt work and feels like it may be broken. There is no detent felt going up or down.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    If you have pics that helps a ton. Post the drains... AND a boat Pic.

In one rod locker I pulled the Moose head but left tubes as it keeps rod tips straight and the other side I use socks. Tubs racks are all over for sale. Seen many. Lot of guys hate them.

There are many tackle management systems - I like the thick 3700 boxes and got a custom divider from MK2 designs.
    Its currently getting a tune up and fixing a water pressure gauge but I will post pictures when I get it back. I think I might look for some if I can find the rack and tubes....thinking of running them in one side and leaving the other side for sock use as you do.

Your storage setup is serious! Great job on that. I may look it MK2. Thanks for the pictures

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A6113mech View Post
    I only had it out the once and wanted to take it to my mechanic to do a complete run through of the engine and filters so its currently there for a few days but when I had it out I think I was in low 60s occasionally but the water was rough that day so I didnt run too hard often. Ill check prop to pad when I get it back. 10" slidemaster. What is the longest you can fit without the tubes? near 8'?
    7' 3" is the longest rod Ive put in the box. My big bait rods are 7' 9" to 8' 10" and theres no way they will fit.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

9. Member
    7' 3" is the longest rod Ive put in the box. My big bait rods are 7' 9" to 8' 10" and theres no way they will fit.
    Is your boat a dual console? I have an 05' 188 single console and I have a 7'-10" rod and it fits....barely, but if its a dual I dont think they would.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    Is your boat a dual console? I have an 05' 188 single console and I have a 7'-10" rod and it fits....barely, but if its a dual I dont think they would.
    Yes dual console. I have the retractable rod buckle on drivers side and want to put one on passenger side to help secure rods when running but Im hesitant to go cutting into the boat.
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    Mine is dual console and can fit a 7’6”. That’s the biggest I have tried
    2003 188 Elite 200 HPDI 2.6L

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    If you have pics that helps a ton. Post the drains.
    There is one drain hole and these two plugs. One for trailering I’m assuming. Recirculate through the other?
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    When I turn on the second from left accessory rocker switch I instantly get a pump running in the bilge area. What is it and is it normal? That rocker is the one I’m referring to. Second picture just for reference of other switches
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    When I turn on the second from left accessory rocker switch I instantly get a pump running in the bilge area. What is it and is it normal? That rocker is the one I’m referring to. Second picture just for reference of other switches
    That switch is for pump out on my boat but its labeled pumpout not ACC
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

15. Member
    That switch is for pump out on my boat but its labeled pumpout not ACC
    Livewell? Maybe so I haven’t tried it for that. I will next trip. Thanks

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Livewell switches are labeled Aerate and Hydro Air. Aerate pump down in bilge brings water in and out of livewell and lake. Hydro pump, which is on a separate switch, is on back outer wall of livewell, simply bubbles water in closed well…and is an option-only in some models. As mentioned above, pump out is a separate switch and pump.
    Last edited by Lea; 08-19-2022 at 03:32 PM.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Livewell? Maybe so I haven’t tried it for that. I will next trip. Thanks
    You can always run your garden hose in there and put a few gallons in the livewell with it.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 08-26-2022 at 07:20 PM.

18. Member
    There is one drain hole and these two plugs. One for trailering I’m assuming. Recirculate through the other?
    Use the solid one when you want to either keep water in, or water out if not in a tourney or putting fish in the livewell.

Use the screen when you empty your livewell. It keeps any debri from going through the tube and clogging up the drain hose; nothing worse than a regurgitated crawfish part plugging up the drain!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Maybe the prior owner installed another pump. Maybe another bilge or livewell pumpout?

Fill livewells and experiment.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Use the screen when you empty your livewell. It keeps any debri from going through the tube and clogging up the drain hose; nothing worse than a regurgitated crawfish part plugging up the drain!
    Ahh didn’t think of that. Thanks. Makes perfect sense now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast