Headwaters in February ?

Was thinking about hiring a guide for my 13 year old son at Headwaters lake in Feb. but was wondering how good the fishing is there during the month of Feb. Anyone have any experience that time of the year at Headwaters ? We wouldn't want to fish with live bait, strictly artificial . Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks !

2. Member
    Not to knock your choice of artificial over shiners but wondering why? February is always hit or miss because of the weather.....
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    Not to knock your choice of artificial over shiners but wondering why? February is always hit or miss because of the weather.....
    2X, unless you're an accomplished Florida angler, shiners should be considered, IMO.
    And 4X on the weather. We can have 7 good days or 20. Florida + Cold = Angry Bass.
    The weather note isn't tied to Headwaters, it's the entire state. Very few exceptions.

4. Member
    The "Golden Days" of the Stick Marsh/Farm 13 (1990-2000) was definitely an outlier on weather....the colder it was, the harder the wind blew, the bigger the shiners you were using meant fantastic fishing! Nobody could explain it but it was a known fact - those big gorillas loved the foul weather! The 3 major hurricanes of 2004 changed the Stick Marsh. The first time we went back it didnt even look the same- almost all of the Sable palms were gone along with the hyacinths. It was just never the same.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

5. Member
    Hurricanes didn’t change stick marsh. FWC did.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Agree 100 %. Unfortunately, stick marsh wasnt the only place fwc ruined. Just a matter of time before they ruin headwaters.

7. Member
    Usually get started tournament fishing around the end of February up to June. Just wanted to try and get some good fishing in before we started around here. Only want artificial because neither one of us have ever been live bait fishing for bass. Don’t get anything out of bream, crappie or catfishing so we figured it wouldn’t be anything we liked.
    What months would y’all recommend?

8. Member
    In that area, I'd target mid-March thru April, overall.
    Any time can be good, or bad, but that's my choice.
    If you go elsewhere in Florida, it would vary a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    In that area, I'd target mid-March thru April, overall.
    Any time can be good, or bad, but that's my choice.
    If you go elsewhere in Florida, it would vary a bit.
    Yea this if you only want to fish artificial, top water plugs and senko's.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastover519 View Post
    Usually get started tournament fishing around the end of February up to June. Just wanted to try and get some good fishing in before we started around here. Only want artificial because neither one of us have ever been live bait fishing for bass. Don’t get anything out of bream, crappie or catfishing so we figured it wouldn’t be anything we liked.
    What months would y’all recommend?

February can be fine, you can pick days between fronts or fish what you get dealt. Might have to punch, but you'll likely get bit.

I understand no interest in shiner fishing, to many people it's just not their idea of bass fishing.

11. Member
    Shoot me a message with and phone number if you desire. Been fishing there 20 plus years. Can give you both the good and bad.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastover519 View Post
    Was thinking about hiring a guide for my 13 year old son at Headwaters lake in Feb. but was wondering how good the fishing is there during the month of Feb. Anyone have any experience that time of the year at Headwaters ? We wouldn't want to fish with live bait, strictly artificial . Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks !
    Contact Kenny Hass at Catchin'Bass Guide Service. He can tell you when and what is best for you and what your looking to do.

https://catchinbassguide.com/

Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    AMEN!