What’s your fave punching rod

Let’s hear it! What’s your go-to rod for punching matted grass/hydrilla/etc?

Heaviest tungsten weight I’ve gotten to is 1 1/4 oz with a 0.5 oz creature bait and 50lb braid. Looking to upgrade the broomstick I’m using to something more moderate. Thinking 7’ 6” to 7’ 10” but would like to hear ideas. Thanks!

2. Member
    For 3/4oz tungsten, i haven't found anything i like more than the ish 7'6 tatula ags flip rod. Not the most sensitive rod in the world but plenty sensitive, and has the perfect bend for hooking fish and keeping them pinned.

For 1-1.5oz dobyns 795

3. Member
    7'7" heavy gen 1 Cumara

4. Member
    7'11 heavy Okuma Scott Martin TCS...the old model. Super light for 7'11 and has a great action for keeping fish pinned. Not sure if the newer model TCS is as good or not.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

5. Member
    Keep them coming! Anyone have experience with a Cashion ICON 7’ 10” flipping or a FX custom heavy + 7’ 10” mod fast flipping rod?
    Last edited by CamoDawg85; 07-30-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Add rod length

6. Member
    Never used either but I've recently picked up a couple Cashion rods and am very impressed!
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    Never used either but I've recently picked up a couple Cashion rods and am very impressed!
    Nice! I think I have it narrowed down between those two, just riding the fence hoping someone has some positive feedback.

8. Member
    I don’t need to punch a lot on my lakes but I do have a Falcon amistad setup for It if needed. 65lb braid. Use It got frogs also. It works.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

9. Member
    Cashion blanks are fantastic but their QA/QC is not. If you can buy them in person I would. Be sure to look it over for misaligned guides, epoxy covered guides, or exposed thread wraps. they are some of the most sensitive rods in the $200 range.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    Agree with ECobb91... Go to a store and choose the best one. I had to go to BassPro and Cabelas but found one out of seven or eight.

11. Member
    Thanks Ecobb and Turtle. I am going to pull the trigger on a Cashion and see how it goes. Will be my 1st Cashion so hopefully I can get lucky.

Ark Essence 7'11 Extra Heavy.

It's on the higher end of the rod spectrum of course! My go to is the 21 Steez AGS 7'11" Flip Pitch Punch which is an incredible flip/punch rod. It was modeled after the legendary older Steez 802HFB, but I like the new version a lot better.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    It's on the higher end of the rod spectrum of course! My go to is the 21 Steez AGS 7'11" Flip Pitch Punch which is an incredible flip/punch rod. It was modeled after the legendary older Steez 802HFB, but I like the new version a lot better.
    Sorta.. it's got a little flaw IMHO. I've put a LOT of hours into this rod so this isn't just a whilly nilly opinion. It's good but it's just shy of incredible.

I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Everyone has an opinion. I've never had a problem with braid and the tip on this rod and fish braid exclusively with it. I've been fishing this rod since prototype stages and still fish the final production model a lot. It has an ideal flex, plenty of power, and is impressively sensitive for a rod of its stature - in my hands, it is an incredible flip/punch rod.

16. Member
    ALX Powerbolt blank cut to 7'-9" with full cork handle.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Everyone has an opinion. I've never had a problem with braid and the tip on this rod and fish braid exclusively with it. I've been fishing this rod since prototype stages and still fish the final production model a lot. It has an ideal flex, plenty of power, and is impressively sensitive for a rod of its stature - in my hands, it is an incredible flip/punch rod.
    Then it's your fault it's got a goofy tip! :)
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

18. Member
    Irod Bubs punch rod... the newer air series has spiral wrapped guides.... seems weird but when it was explained to me why and when I fished it I understood. Heavy weight and one hand hooks sets produce torque/wrist roll.... I guess a lot of deep sea/big game rods are designed this way ... on top of that, the rod is pretty moderate with a ton of horsepower in the lower 2/3.... I like it a lot .... most "punch" rods are too stiff in the tip.... the technique really is different than flipping and requires a different action.

19. Member
    I have 711 Quantum superlight which is super stout but primarily use the 7'5" Falcon Super duty Cara and Lowrider