Tune-up / maintenance / used motor Check List?

Is there a check-list anywhere for outboard tune-up / maintenance / or "I just bought a used boat now what should I do for the motor"?

I've looked through the stickies & some posts, but haven't seen one yet. I've got lots of automotive & shop skills, just relatively new to the boating world. I'd like to do my own maintenance and once-over for our newly aquired boat. But I'm afraid of what I DON'T know to do or what I'll miss.

A detailed general list would be fine. But for the sake of specifics, the new boat is a 1989 Champion 184 sc with Johnson GT 150. (J150STLCEM, R 08199266).

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm also starting a complete rebuild of a passed down 94(?) Tracker Pro18 w 75hp Merc that has spent 15 years sitting outside. But that's not the priority for now).

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaddy76 View Post
    Is there a check-list anywhere for outboard tune-up / maintenance / or "I just bought a used boat now what should I do for the motor"?

I've looked through the stickies & some posts, but haven't seen one yet. I've got lots of automotive & shop skills, just relatively new to the boating world. I'd like to do my own maintenance and once-over for our newly aquired boat. But I'm afraid of what I DON'T know to do or what I'll miss.

A detailed general list would be fine. But for the sake of specifics, the new boat is a 1989 Champion 184 sc with Johnson GT 150. (J150STLCEM, R 08199266).

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm also starting a complete rebuild of a passed down 94(?) Tracker Pro18 w 75hp Merc that has spent 15 years sitting outside. But that's not the priority for now).
    Invest in a service/repair manual for your motor. It will guide you. Dont get a SELOC or Clymer. Second, do a comprssion check before anything else.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    ChampioNman (Fred) is knowledgable in Champion boats among other things,,,,,,especially OMC outboards.

5. Member
    Great suggestions, thnx. Forgot to say... I DID purchase the service manual (from link in the stickies - thanks!). Great resource, definitely needed. And will test compression soon��

Here's whats on my radar (motor related) so far from what I've picked up...
    -- Check/replace plugs & test compression
    -- Replace water impeller & lower unit lube
    -- (Does lower unit need new seals?)
    -- Lube everything
    -- Deal with VRO2 pump (need to learn more, looks like lots of folks bypass it)
    -- Prop wobbles a tiny bit when spun by hand, learn whats acceptable, concern for bent shaft.
    -- (Probably lots more I don't know about)

-- Related: WHERE are a couple good places to buy parts? What are decent brands? (I'm not an OEM ONLY guy unless it needs to be, but I don't want cheap junk that'll fail soon either).

6. Member
    See this on the VRO
    How the VRO/OMS system works

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

sierra is a quality brand of aftermarket parts.

”Does the lower unit need seals?” Can’t say for sure but the engine is over 30 years old. It may all depend if you see signs of water in the gear oil.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Carb kits and water pump kits stick with OEM and Champion spark plugs.