Kansas Bass Club Moderator

Ranger transom/reenfocemet

So I’ve seen an ad for this 1998 518. In the splash well are two round bars about an inch in diameter. Can’t remember what he said they were made of but not steel. Not exactly where or what they connect to on the boat but running back they connect to the Jack plate. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I’m guessing the transom is weak and they were added to beef it up.

it appears as though they go through where the top bolts are for the motor and the motor attaches to them and they run forward to the front of the splashwell.

I’d post a photo but not sure how on a phone. It says to resize but darned if I know how.

I believe those are like a washer so as to not let the motor mount bolts imbed into the fiberglass.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I’ve never seen anything like this before. What would they attach to on the boat?
    Last edited by H2O_Fowl; 07-27-2022 at 09:35 PM.

4. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    So after some extensive research I think they are called tie bars. Mostly reserved for go fast boats to keep the transom from flexing. Sounds like they would take flex out of the transom so the motor could provide more lift instead of the transom flexing.

why they are on a Ranger if that’s what they do is a mystery unless the transom is weak.

5. Member
    I have seen something similar. Did it look like this?

transom.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post

transom.jpg
    Ranger never made anything like that. The top cap has nothing to do with transom strength so they would not add anything.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post

transom.jpg
    thats exactly what they are and that’s the same boat they are on. Looks like he did
    some wet sanding to make it shiny again.

9. Member
    I laid eyes on the boat and was wondering what they were for. The transom looked fine to me the guy said it was a performance modification. It looked like it was done okay but it scared me. Other wise its a decent old Ranger.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Ranger never made anything like that. The top cap has nothing to do with transom strength so they would not add anything.
    Correct. This era of Ranger had the "PullTrusion" stringers and full epoxy/glass transom with no wood in the supporting structure. The top cap had nothing to do with transom strength so these bars are nothing more than 'window dressing'. I'm sure a previous owner was on a go-fast web site and everyone told him these bars were a performance requirement. They won't add anything or hurt anything on this boat.

11. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Don’t think this era of ranger had the glass transom. I’m pretty sure it was a “composite” transom. Reason I say this is because a friend had a 98 which the transom failed a couple
    years after purchase and ranger had to rebuild it under warranty.

This era had a composite transom but it wasn’t fiberglass I don’t believe.

12. Member
    Thought pull trusting started around 89

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    Don’t think this era of ranger had the glass transom. I’m pretty sure it was a “composite” transom. Reason I say this is because a friend had a 98 which the transom failed a couple
    years after purchase and ranger had to rebuild it under warranty.

This era had a composite transom but it wasn’t fiberglass I don’t believe.
    Fiberglass is a composite. Composite is not a material, it means its made with multiple materials composing a final product. Glass and resin forms the composite fiberglass. And yes this era had a Pultruded fiberglass transom
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

14. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Fiberglass is a composite. Composite is not a material, it means its made with multiple materials composing a final product. Glass and resin forms the composite fiberglass. And yes this era had a Pultruded fiberglass transom
    Yes I understand the definition of composite.

The transom can still be bad. Like I said my friend had a 98 518 he bought new and 2 years later it was getting the transom replaced because it was bad. I don’t know exactly why but it cracked and had to be rebuilt.
    Last edited by H2O_Fowl; 08-02-2022 at 10:11 PM.